Thursday 4 September 2014

Sou-ven-ir by Hayley Killigrew

Tell us a bit about your label and why you started designing clothes.

My passion for the industry began during my college days. I completed a 5 year degree in Fashion and Textiles, in the UK. After completing my degree, I then worked in the Fashion Industry in London for 7 years, before moving to Australia to be closer to my family.

During my time in London I worked for major high street labels such as M&S, River Island, Oasis and Warehouse. In 1998 I arrived in Australia with my partner, where I continued to work in the industry. For the last 10 years I have had the pleasure of designing for some amazing labels such as Jigsaw, Bracewell and most recently Wish.

 In 2011 I decided to launch my own label, Sou-ven-ir by Hayley Killigrew. I had the idea for my label many years ago, however the timing was never right.

I have always loved to travel and experience new places, landscapes and cultures. My main problem would be coming home and losing that carefree holiday feeling of being inspired, that gave me a sense that anything is possible. I used to say to my partner if only I could bottle the smells and landscapes and bring them home with me I wanted to capture those special times and places and decided I could do this with my work.


What has brought you the most joy from your creative practice?
I love developing my own prints and seeing them come alive. My travel based label, captures memories and places I have been lucky enough to visit. I think this makes my work not only original, but also sentimental.

 I have been lucky to have travelled and worked in countries all over the world during my career in the industry. I find Japan one of the most inspirational places I have been. Kyoto for its rich culture, breath-taking temples and landscapes. It really blows you away! Then there’s Toyko, for its buzz and creativity. I cannot believe how polite the people are in Tokyo considering how busy the city is. Then there’s the the food - everything you eat is an artform in itself.

 
What can market folk expect to find at our spring event?
Folk can expect to find unique silk printed fashion and accessories that tell a story. My favourite print for Summer would be my “First Light” print. This print is for my daughter, a momento of her first week in this world. “First Light” is a photo I took at sunrise, in Coogee. A sunrise I will never forget.

 
What makes your label unique?
I believe fashion can be very transparent and disposable. I wanted to create a label that was neither of these things.

I believe my label has a story to tell and each print has a different feel. Each print will connect to a different person for a different reason. I believe this is so important for the future of the fashion industry…people want to connect.

As well as my travel stories, I am also extremely fussy when it comes to fabrics, shape and fit. I believe this is paramount when designing. I only use natural fabrics, such as bamboo, silk and cotton. All my prints are printed onto silk. I also like to play with lines and shape. I love asymmetric lines in design. Plus, I am very particular about the fit of my garments. Without a good fit the product will not sell.

  

What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
Selling my product at Hustle&Scout is the perfect platform to connect with people in the community and to learn more about my customer, their passions and their stories. I have also heard many great things about Hustle&Scout, from other creative friends and feel very excited to be a part of this amazing event!

 

MY FAV THINGS.


Guilty pleasure: Chocolate

Fashion item you own: My “First Light” Scarf!

About Canberra: National Gallery of Australia

Thing you have made: My very own “Hand Made Shibori Textiles”, that will feature in my next collection…

No comments :

Post a Comment