Friday 19 September 2014

The Glory Box Jewellery


Tell us a bit about your label and how you got into making jewellery?

I make hand crafted porcelain jewellery. The range includes necklaces, earrings, bracelets, cufflinks, rings, brooches and badges. I make everything myself from scratch in my studio in Ainslie. I started The Glory Box around four years ago as a creative outlet after the birth of my daughter.

  
What inspires your designs?

My first inspiration is my passion for my materials. I love the look and feel of Southern Ice Porcelain, I love the way you can work clay into any shape or form. The quality is exquisite. I love the way it may last for thousands of years, and people may find a piece one day and wonder how we lived and get clues about our culture. I get my inspirations from different things, for example jewellery from other places in the world and how that would translate with my materials and colour choices, or shapes and lines from jewellery in another eras with a contemporary twist.

  
What has brought you the most joy from your creative practice and why?

My creative practice has brought me so much joy it is difficult to know where to start. I love doing markets and being part of the creative and cultural life of this town in my own small way.  

I get joy from looking back at the jewellery I was making even a couple of years ago and seeing how my range has expanded and how much I have progressed as a maker. 
 
 

 
What can market folk expect to find at our spring event?

At the moment I am very drawn to simplicity, I am making pieces which feature simple shapes and let the materials be the hero. Matt white porcelain and sterling silver are just beautiful together, so expect some pieces with this winning combination. I am loving hand rolled beads. You can't stop touching them all day when you wear them because they feel amazing.
  

What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?

I want to be a stall holder at Hustle&Scout because it is smack bang in the middle of this explosion of coolness that is going on right now in Canberra.
 
 

MY FAV THINGS.

 

Guilty Pleasure: Meeting my husband for lunch and having almond croissant at Autolyse with the second coffee.

 
First song on my ultimate mixed tape: Laura Marling, Goodbye England.

 
Fashion Item I own: I love my orange handmade leather satchel bag, had it for at least two years and age only seems to improve it.

 
Place to unwind in Canberra: Molly (speakeasy bar).
 

Thing I have made: Last year I made a friend Christmas presents for all the women in her family. I pressed a piece of her grandmother’s handmade lace into the clay to decorate the pieces. In return she made me some very gorgeous skirts.
 
 


No comments :

Post a Comment