Tuesday 8 September 2015

By Marie-Nicole.


Tell us about By Marie-Nicole, and how it all began?
It all started with a humble blanket hanging up in the corner of an op shop, with all it’s holes and ware marks, yet still oozing so much character, along with stories within that will remain untold... this blanket was just waiting for someone like me to recognise its potential, rescue it from it’s unfortunate fate and give it a new purpose with many new stories to be made, in it’s new form as a guitar case... and then have it’s remnants used to make another guitar case and a few little tote bags. This then led to my quest of spreading some repurposed blanket love around our state, our nation and then the globe, bringing smiles to the faces of many, the nostalgia, the recycling, the beautiful quality of the weave brought back in to the lime light, there are so many reason’s people love this range... and what it has evolved into, rescuing kangaroo leather & cow hide offcuts and well as duck and chicken feathers... giving each resource a second chance at being appreciated, valued, utilised and treasured!
What do you love about working with second hand and pre-loved items?
Aside from the hidden stories that lie within them... the quality of how they were crafted. I have fond memories as a child growing up in Melbourne of going to work with my mum who was a seamstress at the time and worked in a clothing factory with many other migrants skilled in garment production. It was a melting pot of cultural backgrounds and the aroma in the lunch room was mix of the various cuisines of all the countries represented in this one factory... along with this came the sounds created by the varied accents all chirping away like birds in a tree, sharing stories of their experiences both past and present. These memories make me appreciate the people behind the creation of the goods.

I am finding it increasingly frustrating these days that there is so much cheap mass produced rubbish in op shops and recycle centres, it represents a sad change in our society... one which I’d like to help reverse. The more we focus on quality over quantity the better for us, our environment and the global community.
Describe a typical day in the life of Marie-Nicole...
Aside from the hidden stories that lie within them... the quality of how they were crafted. I have fond memories as a child growing up in Melbourne of going to work with my mum who was a seamstress at the time and worked in a clothing factory with many other migrants skilled in garment production. It was a melting pot of cultural backgrounds and the aroma in the lunch room was mix of the various cuisines of all the countries represented in this one factory... along with this came the sounds created by the varied accents all chirping away like birds in a tree, sharing stories of their experiences both past and present. These memories make me appreciate the people behind the creation of the goods.

I am finding it increasingly frustrating these days that there is so much cheap mass produced rubbish in op shops and recycle centres, it represents a sad change in our society... one which I’d like to help reverse. The more we focus on quality over quantity the better for us, our environment and the global community.

What item in your studio could you not live without and why?
Sir Stitch, my 1960’s industrial sewing machine... and his new companion Madame Pfaff, I have only recently acquired her she is a little fancier in her step as she can zigzag, but he is a little more considered in his, he has been fitted with a pulley system that slows him down which is great for leather work. As most micro business owners do, I started this business with a domestic machine, but the difference industrial machines make to the quality & efficiency of my work is phenomenal.
What can mark-folk expect to find at the September 12 event?
Lots of rescued & repurposed goodness. Old Woollen Blankets transformed into: Guitar Cases, Totes & Satchels. Leather and Feather items: cuffs, belts, key tags, earrings and necklaces. There are a wide variety of items within my collections as I endeavour to use every last piece of the precious natural resources I work with, to minimise waste and maximise the appreciation of these beautiful materials.

MY FAVE THINGS
Your role model/s: Anyone who is authentic in their beliefs, lives and breaths their passion. ~ Kim Nelson (an extremely talented artist) for his passion and dedication to our community and the arts, ~ The Dalai Lama for his compassionate, inclusiveness and common sense teachings, ~ The Birdsall Family who have owned and run the tannery since the late 1800‘s, I purchase my leather from them, ~ Wendy & Anthony from Vetro E Metallo, fellow market stall holders who travel to three different markets each week to sell their beautiful recycled metal jewellery, ~ Rohan Anderson, the hunter, gatherer, grower of food and author of Whole Larder Love & Practiculture.

Meal to have cooked for you: Anything Moroccan, especially when made by my husband... we travel through our food and Moroccan meals always take me on the greatest culinary adventures. I can’t wait to visit Morocco some day, smell the spices in the air and lose myself all the beautiful colours and patterns that adorn it’s streets.

Fave item you have found: My one and only striped suitcase for the story behind it’s discovery. We were looking at buying a very old and very large pub in a nearby village. It was in desperate need of renovations and a clean up, the rooms were filled to the brim with stuff, both trash and treasure, in the very far corner of the last dimly lit room we viewed I spotted this suitcase and asked the owner how much he wanted for it? To which he replied; “You’d be doing me a favour if you just took it.”

Song on your ultimate mix tape: My Silver Lining by First Aid Kit...My journey through life has not been easy, but it’s certainly taught me more than I think I would’ve learnt if it were a smooth ride.

Country you have visited: I have not visited my favourite country yet, it would be one steeped in tradition & culture, with food & artisan crafting central to there existence. But out of the country’s I have visited I’d have to say the USA has been my favourite... I never actually thought I’d hear myself say that, since America wasn’t on my bucket list, but circumstances took us there and it turned out to be a turning point in our lives. With only two weeks up our sleeves we decided to spend more time in less places, We had to go to Chicago for a wedding so the other city we chose to visit was New York City. Both cities were inspirational for very different reasons. NYC challenged & inspired me in ways I did not expect it to. I came back with a renewed appreciation for the natural beauty and space that surrounds us here in Australia in close proximity to our cities, which is more like a big town compared to NYC. Our trip also left me with a great appreciation for what America has to offer, we’d like to return one day and see more of the country and it’s natural wonders.

*All images by Marie-Nicole.

No comments :

Post a Comment