Sunday 6 September 2015

Urban Charms.

Tell us about your label, Urban Charms, and what inspires your designs?
I have been a longtime lover of tiny things. My love affair with miniatures began when I was a small girl ogling my aunt's tiny silver tea set in the cabinet. I'm also a lover of food and creating, so I've combined these passions into Urban Charms! I once wore a tiny teacup ring I'd made to work and was inundated with requests, and the rest is history...
What brings you the most joy from your creative practice?
I love watching something begin as a lump of polymer clay and then transform into a wearable piece of art. The exhilaration I feel once I've created a piece I'm happy with is overwhelming. I've been known to do a happy dance around my kitchen when a particularly good batch of miniatures has been baked.
Describe a typical day in the life of Lisa...
I'm also a mum and educator, and I run another new business in Canberra, so I'm generally a very busy person. A typical day when I'm not teaching revolves around my son's school hours, so I make the very most of those hours that I can. I try to be very scheduled and planned with my time, otherwise I'm a pretty good procrastinator!
How did you get into jewellery design?
I've been creating in one form or another since childhood, so at one stage beading was a natural progression for me. I packed the beads away in my early 20's and moved on to other crafts, but in recent years felt a yearning for jewellery design again, but this time I wanted to do something entirely different. My passion for miniatures propelled me into the miniature food jewellery market and here I am!
What can mark-folk expect to find at the September 12 event?
I make an array of gorgeous miniature food jewellery and accessories, including my very popular range of earrings. You'll find necklaces, brooches, rings, earrings all inspired by food and made from polymer clay. I also have a range of wish globe pendants that have been very popular.

MY FAVE THINGS
Country you have visited: I absolutely adored France! I know it's very cliche, but France has a certain romantic quality to it! I love the language, the architecture and the history. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Piece of jewellery you have made: I still have a crush on the very first piece of food inspired jewellery I ever made. It's a ring with a ceramic plate, teacup with two biscuits on the side. It reminds me of comfort food and sitting down with a cuppa after a long day!

Meal to have cooked for you: Anything to do with someone else cooking for me and I'm in! I will love it for the pure fact that I'm not cooking! And pasta. Anything pasta and I'll love you forever.

What you wanted to be when you grew up: I wanted to be a Park Range when I was growing up. I love animals and thought I'd be able to handle being in the great outdoors all day.

No comments :

Post a Comment