Sunday 29 November 2015

A Silver Circle Design.

Tell us about your label, A Silver Circle Design, and what inspires your designs?
A Silver Circle Design is a handmade contemporary Jewellery practice. Combining Sterling silver and subtle elegant forms I focus on materiality, craftsmanship and balance. The pieces are modern, refined and adaptable. My design philosophy explores materials and the natural world. I use unrefined pieces of wood and highly refined polished silver to contrast the textures, forms and qualities of each material. I focus on combining the binaries of hard vs. soft, light vs. dark and warm vs. cold to find a balance between in the in the conflicting elements.
How do you source your materials?
I source my silver from a local (Sydney) supplier and all my additional materials are things that i have collected over the years. I use recycled circuit boards, branches and scrap pieces of wood in my work. Some materials i have had for over 10 years and had not known how i was going to use it until the inspiration strikes so they hang around until my vision is clear for them. I really enjoy giving something a new life.
What do you enjoy most about selling online and being able to do markets as well?
I really love doing markets and meeting new people. I enjoy seeing someones instant and raw reaction to my work as well as their continual surprise when they notice more and more details. When viewing it online you get to see these details instantly so you are drawn to that first. So it is an interesting contrast as to what is noticed more at markets as opposed to the online platform.
What item in your studio could you not live without and why?
My Jewellers Saw. It is the one thing that i usually start a project with and is one of the most essential tools in my practice. It is the first tool i learnt how to use and i now find it quite relaxing to do a lot of saw piercing.
What can market folk expect to find at the December 5 event?
Lots of beautiful jewellery and a friendly smile! Market-Folk can have fun mixing and layering my pieces together to create different looks while keeping it clean and elegant.
MY FAVE THINGS
Fave place to unwind: My Loungeroom. It has beautiful coloured windows and ornate ceilings as well as a big bookshelf full of art books. It is my place to relax, read a good book with a cup of tea. It is also where i get inspiration for new jewellery pieces.
Australian Jewellery Designer: Marian Hoskings. I have always loved her references to nature, her ability to use simple ideas in repetition to create amazing things as well as the textures she uses in her work.
Meal to have cooked for you: Roast Chicken and Vegetables. It reminds me of home cooked Sunday meals with my family when i was growing up.
Fave piece you have made: The first A Silver Circle Ring. Mostly as this really cemented my style, my brand name and gave me a clear vision of what i wanted to make.
Guilty Pleasure: Chocolate! Lots of it!!!


No comments :

Post a Comment