Friday 27 November 2015

Murphy and Me Handmade.

Tell us about your label, Murphy and Me Handmade, and what the name means?
Murphy and Me is all about creating quality but funky handmade jewellery! I strive to create unique designs that are well presented and everything boring mass produced generic jewellery is not!
Most people wonder who Murphy actually is, they often guess that it is my maiden name or my child’s name but those guesses are both wrong. Murphy is my childhood dog, a mini schnauzer cross terrier and yes he is (touch wood) still kicking!
Where did your love of jewellery and hair accessories evolve from?
As a young girl I always remember admiring my mum’s jewellery and accessories. I love colour and I love to mix and match patterns. It is so hard to find affordable jewellery that is wearable everyday AND not identical to the rest of the population. So I began making earrings for my friends and family and when they kept coming back asking me to make more as gifts for their loved ones I thought I should give it a serious go. Since beginning Murphy and Me seven months ago I have focussed on handmade earrings but also added necklaces and hair accessories to the brand.
What do you enjoy about selling online and being able to do markets as well?
Selling online gives me great freedom in terms of when I can make jewellery as I also have an 8 month old son at home. It also means I am open for business 24 hours a day! While I love using social media to build an online presence and to connect with people across Australia and the world I do love the personal interaction and sense of community when meeting new people and supporting other local makers. I also love that ‘buzz’ that you get when selling at a Market.
When you're not working what do you like to do for fun?
I am not the kind of person to sit still for long! I like to create, bake, read and go on road trips where the route is not yet planned! As I mentioned above I also have the sweetest little boy (not at all bias) who is changing and learning about the world every day. He takes up a lot of my time… but he is fun to be around so I don’t mind!
What can market folk expect to find at the December 5 event?
A colourful and affordable fun range of handmade goodies that are suitable for those small and tall!
MY FAVE THINGS
Fave fashion piece you own: Tough one…probably my Turquoise Kate Spade handbag. It is bold and bright! It was a beautiful gift from my parents when they visited NY.

What you wanted to be when you grew up: I always wanted to work for a trendy magazine or be an interior stylist (which is still a dream!) but I am happy creating jewellery and teaching in a primary school.

Australian Fashion Designer: Alice McCall.

Item in your studio: The lolly jar! Always there to help a girl through late night making sessions.

Song on your ultimate mixtape: Summer Rain remix… the ultimate sing out loud, feel good dance song!


No comments :

Post a Comment