Thursday 19 November 2015

Bamikbam Design.

Colourful and patterned wooden studs.
Tell us about your label, bamikbam design, and what the name means?
bamikbam design has been in existence since 2002. Frankie created the brand with her unique colour and material combos, taking them to the Canberra market scene. More recently and after many brainstorming sessions, Myvanwy - the creative powerhouse - came on board; adding a few hand sewn treats to compliment an incredible collection of necklaces, earrings and brooches. We decided to stick with the name bamikbam as we think every accessory adds BAM to everyone’s wardrobe.
What inspires you creatively and keeps you motivated?
Colour, patterns and the desire to make outfits pop with fabulous accessories. We’re inspired in our everyday life to be that ‘little bit different’ and having bamikbam has given us a platform to spread the joy! We are forever brainstorming new ideas and ways to bring our customers products and accessories that they’re missing from their wardrobe and haven’t even realised.
What are your creative goals for the coming year?
We definitely plan to expand bamikbam's customer base by attending markets and increasing our online presence. Also to continue creating distinctive and unique pieces.
What do you enjoy most about being part of the creative scene in Canberra?
Having recently rejoined the Canberra creative scene, we are most looking forward to getting to know other makers and creators and gaining inspiration from Canberra’s amazing collective hub.
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
Hustle & Scout offers us an arena to put our brand out there in the best possible style with exciting venues and an all inclusive market. We really feel this is how markets ‘should’ be with an emphasis on connecting with artists, soaking up the atmosphere and buying locally.
MY FAVE THINGS
Fave item you have made: Frankie: I recently made a necklace for my amazing sister, it was a wooden silhouette of a woman's head decoupaged with inspiring thoughts…blessed, love, live, good times, create. She loved it. Myvanway: I love the ‘spike’ infinity scarf. The pineapple fabric was my first sourced online and I was just so excited. It continues to be one of our biggest sellers.

Meal to have cooked for you: As mothers of young children, we will gladly eat any meal not cooked by us! If it’s hot, bonus!!

Fave place to unwind: At the risk of inciting groans because it's pretty soppy, we both unwind making things for bamikbam! This is the thing that allows us to explore our creative passions.

Item in your studio: Myvanway: Mine is definitely my overlocker followed closely by my rotary cutter. I guess I should also give an honourable mention my sewing machine. Frankie: Hardcore glue, I use E6000 and my Dremel...formally my partner’s Dremel!!

What you wanted to be when you grew up: Myvanway: Sad tale - I’ve always wanted to be a mum with the opportunity to explore my crafty side. Frankie: I was desperate to be a chef as a child. Once I entered hospitality I discovered that the kitchen was quite hot (der!) and the fun was usually being had out on the restaurant floor!

No comments :

Post a Comment