Sunday 21 July 2013

More menswear designers, please.




I've been spending some time with my brother this weekend before he jets off to Spain for work (sigh, jealous). I commented on how each time I see him he looks more and more stylish. Today's stupidly cold high of 8 degrees saw him decked out in a double-breasted jacket, a bright blue checked-shirt, latte woolen scarf, slim-fit dark denim jeans and navy suede shoes. Nice. He is an engineer and a cyclist, which I think speak a lot to his fashion choices = practical and comfortable. He probably spends the majority of his time tucked into sweet lycra so it's really lovely to see him decked out in quality gear.  

All of this aside, today really got me thinking about local menswear designers. This quickly transitioned to a big old *GULP*. Where are they all?!

Now, don't get me wrong, Canberra is not completely void of menswear designers. Take Perpetually Five, for example. CIT fashion grad Mitchell Thompson injects colour and playful prints into his pieces, creating both casual and dressy looks with somewhat of an X factor. Knave and Fables are another local menswear designer that warrant a mention. The brother and sister duo create high-quality mens jewellery drawing inspiration from organic shapes. I LOVE their stuff and it's very exciting to see designers pushing boundaries and taking a fashion-forward approach to their design concepts. I can't help but dream of my brother and me working together on such projects...

I sincerely hope that the coming generations of CIT fashion grads produce more menswear designers. I think it's time we started giving our blokes more home-grown fashion to get excited about (and our gals more fashion-forward blokes to perve on).  

No comments :

Post a Comment