Saturday 20 July 2013



Today's schizophrenic weather calls for shelter in the cosy confines on The Front Cafe. What an opportune time to take a few moments to reflect on what has been a busy but eye-opening week.

Yesterday I caught up with the bubbly Rebekah, owner of Material Pleasures. We ran through the rain, ate chicken and leek pie, laughed and exchanged stories...ok maybe I'm embellishing a little, but we ACTUALLY did do all of those things. Rebekah shared stories from when she first started selling earrings at the ripe age of 17 at the Gorman House Markets. She recalls, to this day, the exact amount of money she took home from her first market stint - $68. It's funny you know, because this seems to be common amongst people who have made a success of themselves - they always remember that moment where they thought, 'I think I can really make a success of this'. And so they go and do it - they chase their dreams. I took a lot from this, being in the early phases of chasing down something that I feel really passionate and excited about. My excitement soared to another level when I got a sneak-peek into the back room of the Material Pleasures empire. There were beautiful clothes EVERYWHERE - racks, bags and stockpiles - but all very organised into sections for what stays, what goes, and what belongs to which season. Ladies were busily ironing, sewing and sorting while the ladies out front were serving (always with smiles) and snapping pics for social media updates. A dedicated team working hard not only for their love of fashion, but for a wonderful woman.



This week I have also had the pleasure of meeting three lovely Canberra fashion bloggers: Fiona from Opshoppers, Jay from Closet Voyage and Elle from Elle's Fashion Boudoir. I have to say, I am stoked to have met three such down-to-earth and genuine ladies. Since going 'live' with this new venture, I have been amazed at the enthusiasm and support from the Canberra fashion community. You know, I don't really know if I would have had a similar response if I were based in one of the 'big cities'. There's something special about our city - we are community-minded and we are not afraid to get in touch with a stranger and say 'Hey there, I think we we could collaborate at some point because we're both into the same thing'. GO CANBERRA. 

I am pumped for this week to come. Some interviews lined up and some more catch-ups with some lovely folk, including the crew at Haus Models. Looking forward to seeing where this week takes me...

No comments :

Post a Comment