Tuesday 17 September 2013

Channel the child within.

If more men dressed like they were perpetually five years old, the world would be a more happy, colourful and carefree place. I imagine guys walking around in super-hero inspired outfits, bright-coloured suits and clothing stamped with fantastical illustrations taken straight from a story-book or a child's scribble-art. People wouldn't take themselves so seriously. They would freely express themselves, drawing inspiration from the deepest crevasse of their imagination. Canberra's public service would transform from a sea of black and grey to one big bureaucratic rainbow. 

There is one guy out there who entertained a similar vision, and decided to produce a collection that aims to put the fun back into mens fashion...



'Perpetually Five' is the cool, quirky and colourful label by CIT graduate,  Mitchell Thompson. Mitch's garments are inspired by the endless source of creativity that children provide, and intend to give guys more options to express their personalities through fashion. In an industry where childrenswear is commonly marketed towards parents by reproducing mini-me adult fashion trends, Mitch sees a need to reverse this pattern by encouraging adults to wear garments that are more young at heart. This is a fascinating concept and I've recently become more attune to what kids are wearing. There is no way I was half as 'trendy' as the children of today when I was a youngster, but I am really glad that my parents let me dress myself and encouraged me to express my personality through my outfit choices, albeit very daggy ones. 

Perpetually Five was one of the designer labels that showcased at FashFest earlier this year. The male models brought a fun element to the catwalk, expressed not only through the clothing but also through their lively performance...

Image courtesy of FashFest
Image courtesy of FashFest


One of the stand-out garments for me at FashFest was the raincoat. I've never seen a stylish raincoat until I saw Mitch's creation. The clever thing about this piece is that it is transparent, allowing the colourful garments to pop from underneath. The raincoat almost acts as the perspex to a piece of art, whilst being a piece of art in its own right. Another thing that strikes me about the Perpetually Five designs are the fun and sophisticated prints. Mitch worked with a graphic designer to help him develop a colour-way for the prints in this collection - the result being vibrant, eye-catching designs reflecting the imagination of a child. Check out the giraffe print below...



You will find Mitch and his collection of beautifully-tailored menswear at Hustle&Scout this week. Get ready to channel the child within.

2 comments :

  1. They have to coolest fashion shoots, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Very very cool, SO much colour I love it.

    ReplyDelete