Friday 20 September 2013

Having fun with fashion.

Wonderland. This word would evoke a myriad of different images and scenarios for various people. For Zoe Brown, wonderland is a place 'where you don't know the rules, the guides or danger but you want to play anyway'. This is the philosophy behind her independent label, wnd.lnd (pronounced 'wonderland').

Zoe, who graduated from a Bachelor of Design at CIT in 2011, was one of the lucky designers selected to showcase at Fashfest this year. In addition to this achievement, Zoe has interned for New Zealand label, 'The Stolen Girlfriends Club', as well as for Australian label 'Lover'. When she's not designing, Zoe also throws herself into freelance styling projects, and anything else that allows her to immerse herself in a creative happy-place.  

I am really drawn to Zoe's label. The whimsy and doll-like aesthetic combined with edgy streetwear influences is intriguing and some-what mesmerising. Wnd.lnd garments allow women to express their femininity but also evoke a unique, fantastical quirkiness that transcends conventional design trends. Zoe plays with a range of textures, mixing materials and incorporating objects - all to give her pieces that special something that make them stand out from the crowd. 



I asked Zoe a few quick questions about herself and her design...

Why did you want to become a fashion designer?
I guess I've always lived in my own fantasy world. From Barbie dolls to making my own clothes at a young age.   I think I've always known fashion is my only option...and I'm pretty illiterate! 

How would you describe the wnd.lnd aesthetic/style?
I guess the wnd.lnd aesthetic is innocence playing with rebellion. The wnd.lnd girl has a sweetness to her but can also hold her own. 

The garden collection is a 2 part trans-seasonal, inspired by Sofia Coppola's movie adaptation of the virgin suicides. 

In what ways are your designs sustainable?
My designs are created to be sustainable in the way that wnd.lnd pieces are to be cherished in your wardrobe forever. Playing on the idea of unique features and small run lines create longer lasting connections to each piece. I will also experimenting with off cuts to create unique accessories out of fabric wastage. 

Zoe will have a stall at Hustle&Scout tomorrow along with the talented Jade Stone selling pieces from her handbag collection, and Nastia Zaric selling her gorgeous handmade jewellery (pics below). Make sure you go and say hello to these gorgeous ladies!





No comments :

Post a Comment