Wednesday 11 September 2013

Re-defining trends.

One of the key things I want to achieve with Hustle&Scout on 21 September is to create more awareness about, and access to, fashion by independent designers.  I know a lot of us out there are busy and therefore don't have the time to seek-out the few shops around town that stock our local designers' collections. Sometimes when you know you need a new item of clothing, or just want a hit of retail therapy, it is easier to just pop down to your local department store and choose something that you know is 'in trend'. 

BUT, what is being 'in trend' all about anyway? If being 'in trend' means we must shop at those stores that pump-out high-street conventional labels that have been manufactured in China or Bangladesh, reinforce standards of living and work that barely keep factory workers above the poverty line and produce clothing that falls apart and ends up in land-fill before you know it, then I don't know if I want to be 'trendy'. 

We are lucky in Canberra to have some really talented designers that are building their lables and starting to give buyers the option to walk away from chain stores and prioritise design and quality over commercial trend. One of those designers is Andie Meredith. 

Andie, who graduated with a Bachelor of Design (Fashion) from CIT, is the creative mind behind the eponymous, independent fashion label 'Andie Meredith'. Andie's seasonal collections, which consist of accessories and womenswear constructed with beautiful quality natural fibres, can be described as feminine and timeless. The signature prints on her pieces have been developed through a process of two and three dimensional artwork, and are replicated not only throughout Andie's designs but also as fabric-framed artworks - what a lovely way to upcycle I say.




Another one of the special things about Andie's designs is that they are so comfortable, versatile and wearable for women living diverse lifestyles. The reversible loop scarf  and spare sleeves are two of my favourite accessories - you can reverse the scarf to show more or less colour, and the sleeves are a brilliant addition for when you need that little bit of added warmth but don't want to don a jacket (they also just look super cool). I wore both of these items in a photoshoot Andie and I did for City News last month. Andie's designs also have this fantastic ability to be easily dressed up or down, which is a smart move because who wants to be getting changed two to three times a day? Not me, anyway. 



I think being 'in trend' should be more about feeling beautiful in quality, carefully handmade and sustainable clothing that is unique and stands out from the crowd. Andie Meredith's clothing is a real stand-out for me and I can't wait to look through her recent collection at Hustle&Scout. I've been telling Andie since I met her that I NEED a pair of those spare sleeves, at the very least - so I hope you come stocked-up next week Andie ;)



One of the looks that Andie showcased at FashFest in May 2013...

Image credit: Leighton Hutchinson


No comments :

Post a Comment