Wednesday 28 August 2013

Connected to Rancho.

In 2009, Michelle Smith launched her new label - Rancho Designs. While the label initially started with mixed media artworks and glass jewellery, it quickly evolved to include accessories and resin, timber and silver jewellery. 

Inspired by Michelle's Scandinavian heritage, Scandinavian design and urban trends, Rancho pieces are distinguished by their simplicity, soft colour palette and eco-tones. All pieces are produced in Michelle's studio nestled in the beautiful Mulbring, rural New South Wales. Knowing this, it comes as no surprise to see all of the trees, flowers and birds referenced in her work. 






Having dappled in paper, paint, clay, fabric and photography throughout her creative journey, it is no wonder Michelle has broadened her product range over the years. Recently, Rancho launched new accessories such as ipad covers and iphone covers. Considering these devices are practically an extension of our bodies, why wouldn't you want to embellish your technology with a colourful print or a laser-cut wood artwork? It is these sorts of products that will really set Rancho apart at the Hustle&Scout market. The thing I personally love about Rancho is the integration of a cool colour palette with bold and funky patterns to evoke a soothing and modern interpretation of the bush, sky and water. Michelle's artworks also remind me of the beautiful pictures in a Scandinavian storybook my Mother used to read to me as a child. Because of this strong visual connection, I see magical stories being told in each of the Rancho creations. 






I have come to realise that one of the main reasons I love buying unique, handmade pieces is the connection I am able to make with them. Whether it is Rancho's artwork that takes me back to a time where a storybook set no limits to my imagination; or a vintage 1920s hat that I like to think was once worn by a woman who lived through World Wars and danced the charleston during Prohibition; or an upcycled necklace that was once someone's post-consumer trash and is now my treasure - vintage, handmade and locally designed fashion gives me an opportunity to express different aspects of who I am, what I value and how I want to tell my story.   


It is from this realisation that I come to appreciate Rancho on a new level, because it is not just beautiful things that Michelle is creating, they are a storybook of her heritage and her life. 




No comments :

Post a Comment