Thursday 29 August 2013

Thrifting 101: Pop some tags, fill those bags.

Who doesn't love a good thrift-shop? For me, thrifting is a fun challenge. It is one of those things I have nearly worked to a fine art. 

Thrifting is somewhat of a skill - a hobby that requires a heightening of the senses, if you will. For me, it usually involves meandering past racks of pre-loved garments, eyes darting ahead calculating colour, pattern and fabric combinations whilst one hand simultaneously slides along the clothing confirming quick judgments. All the while, I must monitor my surrounds, ensuring other keen thrifters are not hot on my trail. The process is undoubtedly driven by awareness, efficiency and quality control. It's game-on, every time. 

Now, I know for a fact that I am not the only one that shares a love for thrifting around our nation's capital. Canberra is home to some killer thrift shops, and by 'killer' I mean some op-shops go overkill on the their pricing strategies whereas some 'kill it' by hitting the price mark perfectly every time. It's knowing where to find the latter that is the real key to any thrifting experience. I know one gal who has this key tucked firmly down the pocket of her black, ripped skinny jeans.

Meet Fiona Harris. Childcare worker and avid thrifter by day, social media guru by night, and managing Founder of Opshoppers all day and night. I first became aware of Opshoppers at the recent Help from the Underground fashion fundraiser show, where a bunch of Canberra fashion bloggers and collectors joined forces to present a massive pop-up shop of their best thrifted finds. I finally met Fi when I visited her house (or 'Opshoppers HQ') to chat about Hustle&Scout (and to also pick-up a burgundy cape that I had spotted on her website: www.opshoppers.com.au). My heart skipped a beat when I saw the racks and racks of garments she had stowed away in her pad. Fi has everything from vintage garments, to sun glasses, bags, shoes, streetwear and jewellery, but also kitschy items such as retro books and other quirky bits and bobs.





Fi started seriously thrifting about 10 years ago. Her urge to thrift is the result of what appears to be an innate appreciation of beautiful things and a compulsion to collect things which she knows are worth more than they are priced. What I find the most fascinating about all of this is that Fi rarely wears any of the garments she buys. Fi is the kinda girl who could happily live in her black jeans, black cons and a grungy tee any day of the week. 

Although Fi has largely collected beautiful, feminine vintage womenswear, the Opshoppers brand will be moving to a new phase of growth in the coming months. In a way, it seems Fi is keen to bring more of her personal aesthetic to her product by drawing the focus to urban/streetwear. For example, a recent collaboration with local street artist, Abyss.607, has resulted in a new method of upcylcing vintage threads (such as the leather jacket below). It is very exciting to see the Opshoppers business diversifying and to see Fi collaborating with so many Canberra creatives on her inspired-visions. 






Look out for Opshoppers at Hustle&Scout on 21 September. Fi will be bringing all of her very best garments, accessories and jewellery, and of course, her big smile. 


No comments :

Post a Comment