Thursday 1 August 2013

Keeping it real.

I have had a very humbling week. 

It all came to a crux after my catch-up with Maddy last night. Maddy is the lovely, down-to-earth gal behind the Mummawoosha blog, contributor to HerCanberra, full-time Mama, adoring wife and 4-day-a-week worker. 'How do you have time to do it all?', I asked in our first 5 minutes together. For Maddy, it's all about her kids and her hubby first, but she is one of those Mums who is very aware of not losing sight of her 'my time', if you will. A blog, for Maddy, is a sort of self-therapy - I love this concept because I feel the same in that I don't really think about what I write before I write these posts...I just BLAH. Maddy recently co-ordinated the Lifeline Vintage Glam shoot for HerCanberra, and said that although she still feels like she is recovering, she had an absolute blast. Maddy admitted she's no stylist, she's not riding the 'buzz', and she's definitely not a 'fashion blogger'. The 'blast' is generated through tapping into a creative side, cherishing the people you meet along the way and exchanging stories via online ditterings and social get-arounds. 

I have to say, it was really reassuring to meet yet ANOTHER genuine, warm and supportive Canberran who really enjoys living in this city and who is keen to get amongst it, when time permits. For me, it's not about the buzz. It's not about fabricating an online image/persona (because I am no stylist or fashion expert - just a gal with a keen appreciation of fashion, art and design aesthetics, and a compulsive need to be BUSY). I don't want to feel pressured to post every day, I would prefer to post when I feel inspired and thus have a moment with myself to connect and reflect with meaning. Ultimately, I want my endeavours to bring about meaningful change.

At the end of the day, we are only as good as those we surround ourselves with. I am grateful to have met some beautiful people, like Maddy, along this journey and I will most definitely be dragging them along with me because we all share a common vision. This vision is not necessarily just about harnessing the talent that Canberra possesses and putting on awesome events, it's about keeping it real and not losing sight of what really matters. 


No comments :

Post a Comment