Monday 24 August 2015

Edwoods.

Tell us about your label, EDWOODS, and how you started making wooden bow ties and accessories?
EDWOODS came about as a result of my wedding in June last year. On a shoestring budget, we wanted to collect and make items to help give the wedding a touch of us. I already had a bit of practise in timber crafts, so my wife and I thought it would be a fun idea to incorporate wood into the wedding somehow. Sourcing some timber offcuts from local building sites, I crafted the first EDWOODS bowties for the male guests and smaller wooden broach bowties for the females. They were a hit, and we quickly realised there was an opportunity to share these wonderful accessories with the public.
What do you enjoy most about being a part of the creative scene in Canberra?
Canberra is a mixing pot of wonderful and exciting people and cultures. The creative scene is vibrant and always evolving, from the popup shops that litter various small corners of the city, to the art galleries and various weekend markets that showcase the best of Canberra's creativity. Just being a part of such an eclectic range of people and products, learning from them to grow as a business and individual is what I enjoy most.
When you’re not working, what do you like to do for fun?
I rarely have down time outside of EDWOODS. As a graphic designer by day, and craftsman on weekends and a husband and father around clock, my days are very full. When I can find a free moment, I will unwind with a cruise on my motorcycle if just for a short while to tune out.
Tell us about some of the sustainable aspects of your design…
As I wasn't sure initially how my bowties would be received by the public, I wanted to try and keep my overheads low. From what I discovered when making the first batch of bow ties for my wedding, Canberra has many avenues for sourcing recycled and reclaimed materials. As such, all of my timber is reclaimed off cuts and scraps that would otherwise be tossed. The fabrics I use are old and damaged neck ties, also sourced locally from recyclers and the occasional donation by avid fans of my work.
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
Having been operating now for over a year, and participating in various markets around Canberra, it became quite clear that Hustle&Scout is a premier showcase of Canberra's best. Stories told by others who have attended or had stalls, of the fantastic atmosphere and participation that Hustle&Scout brings to Canberra, was enough to make me know I wanted to take part.

MY FAVE THINGS
Item in your studio: My headphone, because music helps drive my creativity

Fave place to unwind: On my motorcycle: just me and the road

What you wanted to be when you grew up: A teacher, to share and influence creativity

Your role model/s: My father who taught me to live with my eyes open to the world, to be inquisitive and to always do my best

Song on your ultimate mix tape: Ray LaMontagne's "Trouble"

No comments :

Post a Comment