Monday 31 August 2015

The Good Wife and Co.

Tell us about your label, The Good Wife and Co., and what the name means?
Those words - TGW & CO says it all! Adversity in my life nurtured the incubation of this name to "its" profoundness. I am immensely proud of what this name eludes to (and yes Alicia Florrick from the television show is one of my favourite characters!). Strong women with values that have carried them through life and their success achieved in whatever form that may be career, family or all of this.
What do you love about working with silk and cashmere?
I always maintained - as I personally went looking for - beautiful organic fabrics at an affordable price provides inspiration. Just to think our 100% cashmere bathrobe in blush pink is manufactured from the fur of the Kasmiri goat and our 100% silk chemises, the silk comes from the worm!
What do you enjoy about selling online and being able to do markets as well?
I love the diversity these two platforms provide. Online sales during the past 4 years - men have surpassed women in sales.. Face to face selling - so far have only been to women (although many times it is the man who stops to look at my stand with their female partner)!
Describe The Good Wife and Co. design aesthetic...
We love simplicity and we love allowing the woven fabrics used to be the highlight. We construct our garments with the minimal amount of hardware - our chemises have adjustable straps which are metallic rather than plastic which breaks easily. Our cashmere products have no adornment other than belts and ties. There is no buttons, sequence or other embellishments other than what is necessary. Our silks have only lace or none at all - our colours speak for themselves.
What can market-folk expect to find at the September 12 event?
Vibrant colours, well constructed garments and products that are not easy to find at this price point. If you want silk and cashmere sleepwear - we happily provide.

MY FAVE THINGS
Fave item you have made: 100% Cashmere Travel set - designed by me - born from travel experience whereby I was always carrying Pashminas in my carry on to drape over my daughter and myself for warmth during the flight.

Item in your studio/office: I hang all my silk chemises on my wall and everyday I am amazed at the colours.

Your role model/s: My mother and grandmother - industrious and hardworking women. My grandmother could not read or write but still owned and ran a grocery store - never turning anyone away who didn't have money but needed bread.

Fave fashion piece you own: the one piece that started it all for me - a 100% silk slip with lace by the bust area and hem - purchased from my first part time job when I was 20 years old studying at university. I still have it.

Country you have visited: Recently, India - looking for cotton fabric suppliers - for designs I am working on for summer sleepwear.

No comments :

Post a Comment