Saturday 15 August 2015

theDEN - Artist & Designer


Tell us about your label, theDEN - Artist and Designer, and what the name means?
After I graduated from my fashion course in 2009, I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a name for my label that felt right and meant something to me personally. One day I came across a designer in a magazine whose label was inspired by her last name, and this got me thinking about my own last name, Crowden, which lead to my final choice - theDEN. I incorporated the symbol of a crow into my logo, so that in a way it reads Crow-Den. I know crows are seen as bad omens or a symbol of death, but I feel they are actually quite beautiful, and over time the crow has become my totem or animal symbol. A den is also a place of warmth and gives the feeling of home. I changed the name to theDEN – Artist & Designer in 2015 when I was unable to register the name theDEN on it’s own.


What inspires you creatively and keeps you motivated?
Nature is a huge influence in my life. Growing up on a 100-acre property, I always had some form of inspiration around me. For a long time I’ve been fascinated with trees of all shapes and sizes, and I particularly love it when the evening sky turns them into silhouettes. I don’t understand why it fascinates me; it is just something I find beautiful! In the last few years I’ve started doing pen illustration, and it was my time studying art at CIT in 2014 that led me on this path of combining my love of art and fashion together by making screen printed clothing with my original designs. For me it’s about taking my artwork and putting it on a moving canvas. In regards to what keeps me motivated, I guess the constant stream of ideas and thoughts that flow from my brain! There are always ideas going on and I just love making so it’s not hard work really!


Tell us about some of the sustainable aspects of your design...
For me, sustainability is a huge part of what I do. When I studied fashion in 2008/2009, they had just introduced sustainability as a compulsory subject, and I was mortified to discover the amount of waste we create, especially in the clothing industry. Growing up on an organic farm and having the luxury of eating our own produce, the idea that measures to reduce our impact need to be taken hit home for me. I never really grasped what sustainability meant until I went to RMIT because it was so seamlessly incorporated into my daily life growing up. After I finished studying it became a priority to only source ethical, sustainable and recycled materials. This is why I chose to work with bamboo fabrics, because at the time it was a new thing and considered more sustainable than cotton. For my printing I use water-based inks that have been approved by the soil association. I know it’s hard to be 100% sustainable, so for me it’s just about doing the best I can with the resources I have. I also want my clothing to be ethically made, which is one of the reasons I make everything myself.


What do you love about working with textiles and more specifically, bamboo?
I love being able to take a 2D drawing, idea or fabric, and turn it into something that can be worn. Fabric is such a versatile medium, and can be transformed in a number of different ways. In the beginning I loved creating one off pieces using different textural effects like pleating, folding, bunching, layering etc. I love working with bamboo because it’s such a lovely fibre. Ever since I got into sustainability, I was all about the natural fibres (unless the fabric was a remnant bought from the op-shop!) and bamboo just has such a lovely feeling on the skin. A lot of people don’t realise that when they wear cheaply made synthetic clothing coloured with harmful chemical dyes, that your body actually absorbs those chemicals through the skin. I want my clothing to feel nice on the skin, and be good for you too.


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
I must admit I’ve only been once, but I loved the vibe I got from the stallholders, and the quality of products people were selling. I know a few people who have had stalls in the past, and they told me it was a great market to be involved in, and the right place for my product. I especially love that community feeling, like you’ve stepped into a little village market where the people are happy, the food is yummy and the evening is clear and warm. There’s just a bit of everything, and I think it’s a great way to spend a spring evening.




MY FAVE THINGS



Song on your ultimate mix tape: First of all, this question is not fair! It’s a toss up between Board the Apartment Up by Seabellies and Close My Eyes by I Know Leopard. The first because that album was a great introduction to independent Aussie music. The second because it’s my favourite song right now.

Item in your studio: My overlocker, for without it there would be no clothes.

Australian Fashion Designer: I fell in love with Michelle Jank in high school because of the way she used texture and contrasting fabrics in her pieces.

Fave place to unwind: On the couch with the pups and a movie…because…why not?!

Fave fashion piece you own: A charm bracelet that belonged to nan, featuring charms from her travels around the world. It’s a window into the adolescent life of a very inspirational woman.

No comments :

Post a Comment