Tuesday 26 November 2013

An affection for collection.

If you visited the last Hustle&Scout, you may recall a certain corner of the Nishi Foyer packed with punters pulling at dresses, blouses, cardigans and more. Their eyes glistened with an unmistakable lust for the garments around them. This is where Librarian Chic was stationed. I watched on during these wonderfully hectic times, admiring Mel O'Brian, ex-librarian and brains behind this business, gracefully control a frenzy of untamed frockaholics. 

Naturally, I was particularly interested in learning just a little bit more about Mel and her affection for collection. Here's what I discovered...


When and why did you start collecting vintage pieces?
When I was 16 I started with a 1940s faux fur coat that I got at my local charity shop. As a uni student I could only afford vintage/second hand clothing, however, I did not want to compromise on quality or style.


What is your favourite decade for fashion? Why?
The charm of 'vintage' for me (although I believe clothing can be timeless) is to take a piece of clothing out of its context and style it into a new look based on individual lifestyles. Chinese silks  and 50s florals restyled as office wear, for example. I adore the 80s as a decade in fashion. During the 80s, Australian fashion really took off and many designers here were finally being recognised internationally. My dream would be to travel back in time to shop during the early 80s at Jenny Kee's "Flamingo Park" in the Strand Arcade, Sydney.


If you had the opportunity to dress anyone from a bygone era, who would it be?
With out a doubt the ‘it’ girl of the 80s, Madonna. She is one of the most stylish and influential fashion icons of the era. Famous for her eccentricity and provocative nature, girls alike were trying to emulate her during the 80s. Madonna began many trends and I would love to dress her in something conservative yet with an understated allure and sensuality. Perhaps a leather skirt and cashmere cardigan.





What is your absolute favourite vintage piece you own? Why?
Is there anyone in the world who can't wear a classic twin set? My favourite vintage piece that I love wearing over my boldly printed c.1980s Sally Browne dress is my raglan angora yellow tweenie set that has the cutest pearl buttons down the front as fasteners.


Three words to describe your customer.
Intelligent, sensitive, independent


In a market saturated by cheap, mass-production do you think good quality vintage will soon be hard to come by? Why/why not?
The world is revolving and so is fashion. Women's trends change every 2 years where as men's fashion is every 10. Men's vintage will be harder to source, however, I am very optimistic because of the current trends of circulating and recycling vintage threads rather than sending them to landfill. This is why our business is imperative.


What are 5 things you can’t live without?
Music, colour, floral prints, communication, glasses...something I can live without, is beige.






No comments :

Post a Comment