Monday 25 November 2013

Vintage chic with a twist...

On 14 December, Hustle&Scout will be welcoming a range of new stalls to its market, some local and some interstate. We have one stall coming all the way from South Australia - Dressed for Sunday. Dressed for Sunday will be showcasing beautifully crafted handmade accessories for guys and gals, all of which I imagine to be the perfect embellishments for a Sunday outing. I am particularly excited by the bow ties and ties that Leah will be bringing along to the next market...amongst her other lovely creations... 




What sorts of things can people buy from Dressed for Sunday?
I’ll be bringing a range of handmade men’s and women’s accessories to Hustle&Scout. For the guys, I have lots of ties and bow ties in a fun range of colours and prints, along with pocket squares. For the girls, I have an array of jewellery (think pendants, earrings, bangles and brooches) made from a variety of mediums including laser cut wood, Swarovski crystals, fabric and clay and beautiful fabric belts finished with vintage buckles.


How would you describe your design aesthetic?
I would describe my style as vintage chic with a bit of a twist, and a lot of fun. To me, Dressed for Sunday is a reminder to have fun, be in the moment and not take life too seriously.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
Dressed for Sunday is all about those little finishing touches that make an outfit. Sometimes I’ll see something in an old photograph or film that forms the very beginning of an idea. Other times, its prints, textures and colour that evoke a particular feeling which I want to channel into my collection. I’ve always been taken with the fashions of the ‘20s, ‘30s and ‘40s, which you can see through some of my pieces. For instance, the inspiration for my laser cut timber and crystal range came from seeing a beautiful 1930s rhinestone brooch in a film.


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
At the moment, my favourite product would have to be bow ties. While I personally don’t wear them, they do speak to a particular style. Whenever I have a few finished and waiting to be packaged or I’m setting them up at markets, I fall a little more in love with them!


What are 5 things you can’t live without?
Tea
Music to fuel my making mood
Strawberry smoothies (over summer they’re my go-to snack for something quick, sweet and filling) 
A good book to catch some down time
My parents and their wonderful helping hands


What next?
In the short term, I’m concentrating on creating a website to bring Dressed for Sunday to an online audience. In the long term, I want to keep designing and making lovely things and building a beautiful brand.



No comments :

Post a Comment