Friday 29 November 2013

Raw designs return from the Ranch.

Hustle&Scout welcomes back Rancho to its 14 December market, now only 2 weeks away. Rancho will be brining their best jewellery and accessories, including their range of gorgeous wood-based and beaded necklaces and earrings, gold and silver-plated charms, linen shoulder bags, laser-cut bamboo iphone cases, patterened ipad covers and much more. I have really enjoyed learning about Michelle's story and it is a pleasure to share a little more of it with you today...  



How did the Rancho adventure begin?
The rancho label began after our move to ‘The Ranch’ 8 years ago.  We made a tree change from the coast to a beautiful little rural area just outside Newcastle.  But I have been making things forever – it’s just been the last 3 years that I have decided to side-step Visual Arts teaching and create full-time. 


How would you describe your label’s design aesthetic?
I try to keep things as simple and clean as I can - still keeping a visual interest.  It’s not as easy as it sounds – a fine balance of shape, surface texture and colour.  I try to brighten my palette sometimes – but always find myself calming things down to my usual muted soft colours. Old habits die hard.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
It sounds corny but my inspiration comes from our landscape. I also love classic Scandinavian design and pattern. 




If you had the opportunity to design a fashion piece for anyone, who would it be?
I wouldn’t like to design anything specific for anyone – I would be too worried that I wouldn’t like it! But I would be tickled pink if I saw Orla Kiely walking down the street with a rancho bag or necklace!


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
I always like the best the item that I am currently making.  But if I had to choose a classic – I like my double heart necklaces as they are very simple but versatile.


What is your favourite object in your workshop?
I have a few vital tools: a small sharp pair of scissors, a super fine black felt tip marker, a pointed nose pair pliers and sewing machine (a Janome that I’ve had for 28 years!).


How are your pieces sustainable / eco-friendly?
I try to keep my materials as ‘raw’ as possible. At the moment I am using raw wooden beads. My linen is unbleached and I love using waxed cotton cords.


What are 5 things you can’t live without?
My Family.
Pen and Paper.  I try keeping a diary for business purposes but it always evolves into a sketch book! I am always jotting down an idea or drawing a new design.
Chocolate and coffee.
My studio.  Unfortunately it doesn’t look anything like those clean white studios in the glossy interior magazines. My furniture does not match, I have crates and paper everywhere.  Racks of jewellery hang about the walls and the dog and cat visit frequently!

Trees. 




No comments :

Post a Comment