Saturday 23 November 2013

ZARIĆ...special and spirited

At the inaugural Hustle&Scout, we welcomed Nastia Zaric and her whimsy label, ZARIĆ Jewellery, to the line-up of quality selected fashion stalls. Sharing a stall with her good friends Jade Stone (of Jade Stone handbags) and Zoe Brown (of fashion label Wnd.lnd), Nastia's range of handmade pastel pieces were a perfect fit for the Hustle&Scout vision, encompassing a bit of quirk, and something very unique. Nastia will be returning to the next Hustle&Scout on 14 December, and we are very excited to have her on board once again. 


Not knowing a lot about Nastia in the lead up to the first market, I decided to take this opportunity to ask her some questions about herself and her practice. I believe having a deeper insight into a designer can really bring more life to their work. It also makes me happy to learn a little more about the beautiful people that help to make Hustle&Scout what it is... 




Photo: Bel Combridge Photography



How did you get into jewellery-making? 
When I was younger, my mother was a fine jewellery designer & my father a ceramic potter; both coming from a long line of artists in the family. Growing up I learnt aspects of both their crafts and the passion behind them. I'd definitely say the creation of ZARIĆ Jewellery is a big reflection of this. 


How would you describe your label’s design aesthetic?
ZARIĆ aesthetic is eclectic, usually colourful, whimsical and playful. I like to think that the ones who are drawn to my work are people that appreciate handmade jewellery pieces that are special and spirited. 


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
Inspiration throughout a design process can be drawn from almost anywhere, the most exciting ideas come from the most unconventional sources. From illustrations in 1980's foreign magazines to the colours in an animated Miyazaki film.


If you had the opportunity to design a fashion piece for anyone, who would it be?
The first that came to mind was Vivienne Westwood. I have been in absolute awe of her work for so many years, & she has such a unique aesthetic and personal style.  


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
There's one pair of earrings I have in mind from my very first experimental mini range. With a vision in my mind, I remember the satisfaction of looking at the finished product after hours and hours trying new techniques and materials. 


What is your favourite object in your workshop?
It would probably be my cabinet of gemstones. I've always found precious natural stones to be so magical, and have quite a collection to be honest. Definitely something I plan on working more with in the future!


Where do you aspire to be in 10 years from now? (Hint: dream BIG)
Hopefully travelling with my craft. I plan to remain a sole trader, but there are so many talented people in world to meet, places to see, techniques to learn!


What are 5 things you can’t live without?
Genuine people, travel, great music, a creative outlet & my dog/best friend


Designer, Nastia Zaric, wearing one of her quartz studded chokers
Photo: Danièle Martinie





No comments :

Post a Comment