Wednesday 27 November 2013

Fashionably extravagant.

On December 14, we welcome back the gorgeous Vicky and her string of beautiful handmade creations from renowned label, Rockstars & Royalty. Rockstars & Royalty offer a range of fashion pieces - everything from jewellery, to corsets, to bird cage veils to extravagant couture gowns. If she's not known for her pink hair, then Vicky is definitely known for her gowns...they are one-of-a-kind, all handmade and tailored to perfection. Whether you want to channel rock n'roll, whimsy, hollywood glam or bold and contemporary - Vicky has a knack for creating the ideal dress for her clients to reflect their personality. It is no wonder she receives commissions from interstate and often needs to turn people away, who wouldn't want to don a gown with powers to take breath away? 

I have really enjoyed getting to know Vicky through Hustle&Scout. I was excited to use her iconic teal and gold gown in a photoshoot we did for the Canberra Times for the inaugural event. This same gown, which was also a show-stopper at Fashfest earlier this year, also featured at the market as a centerpiece, which punters were quickly in awe over (see photo below). I asked Vicky some questions to get a little more insight into her story, and this is what she had to say...


When did you know you wanted to be a fashion designer?
I’ve sewn and designed for myself and my friends since I was about 10, but I actually didn’t consider a career in fashion until I after I graduated from my degree. I always wanted to be a jeweller and that’s what I studied. I made my fist corset in the final year of my degree because I couldn’t afford to buy one. After my degree I began sewing more and more and making more corsets and realised that was what I really loved to do and that it was possible to make a career out of it.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
All over the place. Often a piece of fabric,  lace or other embellishments will give me an idea and I’ll design a gown around it. Other times I see a colour somewhere and know that I want to use it. I also get a lot of inspiration from historical dresses and silhouettes.


If you had the opportunity to dress anyone, who would it be?
I love going big and extravagant so I would love to create for anyone with a huge budget so that I could let my imagination run wild!


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
It changes every time I make a new gown! I still love the blue corset with the silver embellishments, the huge ivory tulle skirt that I made at the beginning of the year, and my favourite wedding dress for a real bride this year has to be the bright multi-coloured one that I made for my gorgeous client Nicolee for her wedding back in April.


Photo: Bel Combridge Photography

Where do you hope to be in 10 years time? (hint: dream BIG)
I’m very happy with where I am. I work from home and have enough orders to keep me busy and turn down enough to make sure I still have time to spend with my family. Having a successful business and great family time is my definition of success.


What are 5 things you can’t live without?
My family, the internet, mascara, hair dye and wine.


What next?

Wedding season is in full swing so I’m starting to working on gowns for my 2014 brides. I’m also about to start work on a costume for Sarina del Fuego which she’ll be taking to the Adelaide fringe festival which I’m very excited about. As well as that, I’m about to make an extravagant back drop for a photo shoot and I have a vintage sofa that’s been sat in my garage for a year that I need to start restoring. I should probably think about Christmas at some point too! Hopefully I’ll be planning new gowns for Fashfest 2014 soon as well if they’ll have me back!

Photo: Edge Light Photography

No comments :

Post a Comment