Thursday 10 April 2014

A wink to symmetry and subtleness.

From accountant to jewellery designer, Marissa Christian has done the full loop...and the result? WINK Jewellery - delicate, feminine, subtle, chic, and suitable for every occasion. Marissa's gorgeous handmade pieces feature in gold and silver, and play with a variety of charms including gems, stones, coins, beads and much more. I own one of Marissa's delicate gold chain bracelets featuring a tiny faceted black bead in between two gold stones, which I adore. I rarely take it off because it because it is so subtle and I can easily wear it with other jewellery pieces without it looking out of place. It's pretty easy for Marissa's designs to become a permanent part of your outfit, embellishments and all.  

Check out more on Marissa's latest goss and her plans for the future in this quick interview. Don't miss her stall on Saturday either, if her stall was anything like it was at the first market she attended, she will have many a' hoverer.


Photo: Ark Photography

 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to apply to be a stallholder?
I wanted to be a part of something new and exciting happening in Canberra to support local artists.  There are so many creative people here doing some amazing things, and the Hustle & Scout Markets gives designers the opportunity to get our products out there in a really unique way.  At the first Hustle & Scout market, I had a fantastic time!
 
How did you get into designing jewellery?
I have always been really creative, and love art and photography and making things, but for some strange reason I decided to become an accountant.  After about five years working as a consultant, I realised that I needed to do something more creative, so in 2010 when I had my daughter, I opened a shop on Etsy and began selling the jewellery I had made in my spare time.  If it wasn’t for the support and encouragement from all my friends and family, I probably would have given up long ago!
 
Tell us a bit about your label and design aesthetic.
Wink Jewellery is feminine and delicate, it’s the sort of jewellery you would wear everyday – once your piece of jewellery finds its special place on your body, you won’t want to take it off!
The pieces are all designed and made by me, using a range of materials including tiny faceted stones, pearls, crystals and dainty silver and gold beads.
I am a bit of a perfectionist and love symmetry and subtleness - I think my jewellery reflects this part of my personality.
 
What is your creative workspace like, and what inspires you about your surroundings?
I have recently moved my workspace to the dining table, as I bought a lovely oak dining table that we never use and I thought it would be perfect as my work bench!  It’s also got lots of natural light, which I love and a nice view out the window to the leafy street. However, one thing that is a complete mess is my paperwork – receipts/invoices/tax returns etc.  I still work part time as an accountant, so the last thing I want to do when I get time for my jewellery is more paperwork!!!
 
 
 
 
What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
I really love the Tesora necklace – it’s a short delicate gold necklace with a tiny turquoise bead in between two faceted gold beads.  I wear it every single day and rarely take it off.  Occasionally I’ll layer it with another slightly longer necklace. It has been so popular that it now comes in sterling silver, and with other stones, but the turquoise is my favourite.
 
What can punters expect to find at the upcoming autumn market?
I’m always making new pieces, but unfortunately I don’t always have the time to photograph them to put them on my website, so markets are the perfect opportunity for customers to pick up something that is not available online. I’ve also been busy making lots of new earrings and some new long necklaces that I think will be popular.
 
What new projects are you working on and where would you like to see your label in the future?
At the moment I’m working on getting some beautiful little custom tins made with my logo on the top to package my jewellery in.  I had something similar in the past, but my supplier stopped making them, so I was unable to get more.  Customers loved the old tins as they could store their Wink jewellery and other jewellery in them to keep them safe.  I’ve had to order 5,000 of them, so hopefully I’ll be making a lot of sales J
In the future, I’d like to grow my brand and have it stocked in more boutiques across Canberra and Sydney (Wink jewellery is currently stocked at Bodhi Leaf in Manuka).  Ultimately though, I’d like to be able to make jewellery full time, as I love being creative and being my own boss.
 
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment