Wednesday 2 April 2014

The go-to pearl lady.

Diamonds may be a girl's best friend, but I think it is pretty safe to say pearls are a girl's very very good friend too. When talking about 'key pieces' and owning classic, beautiful quality jewellery that will withstand the temperamental trends of fashion over time - pearls are a must-have for any lady.

Jane Brown just so happens to be Canberra's number one go-to lady when it comes to all things pearls, and she will be back at Hustle&Scout next week with an array of stunning new hand-crafted pieces...


 
What is it about Hustle & Scout that made you want to apply to be a stallholder?
I had heard great things about this stylish and edgy new market and I am a little inquisitive, so set about making a few inquiries and voila I was accepted!  The Nishi, New Acton precinct also fascinated me with its cutting edge design and fresh urban presentation.  I think good design, classic or modern, is always timeless and I hope this concept is also reflected in my jewellery.  So Hustle & Scout market at New Acton seemed like a perfect match.

 
How did you get into designing jewellery?
Totally by accident. I went to China on a posting with my husband which stretched to 5 exciting years. I made friends very quickly with a young Chinese woman called Ling Ling who taught me everything I needed to know about pearls.  I have always adored design whether it be designer couture pieces, fabric design, carpets, porcelain, glassware, accessories etc and the Asian design ethic is gloriously understated and elegant. - I aspire to this in my designs.  I am always inspired by the pearls and gemstones that I discover on my designing trips and usually designs just spill out the longer I am at Hongqiao (Beijing's famous pearl market). I constantly say to people that you are only limited by your imagination - luckily I seem to have a very vivid imagination!


Tell us a bit about your label and design aesthetic.
Jane Brown Pearls always aims to give customers a wonderful experience when buying jewellery.  I like to educate customers on the selection and design process which they usually find interesting and informative!  It is very important for people to understand everything there is to know when purchasing special pieces of jewellery.  I love the pearls and gemstones to really shine and reach their potential.  I am super fussy with the quality of pearls and gemstones and always design with my customers in mind, whether it is the type of clasp, spacers and other interesting findings.


What is your creative workspace like, and what inspires you about your surroundings?
 My creative work space is usually piled high with amazingly lustrous and beautiful pearls and fabulously colourful semi-precious stones.  I then think for a couple of days, waiting for inspiration to hit me and off I go!!!  I usually have samples made (I have a very clear idea of the outcome, lengths of necklaces etc) and I get very excited to see the final product.  Just by being in the thick of the pearl market is inspiration enough - I love the crazy energy of Beijing (really a second home to me) and I just love the Chinese people.  It is also great fun to practice my 'shopping' Mandarin on the locals!


What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
This is impossible to answer because anyone that knows me, knows that making a single choice when faced with incredible beauty/design is too hard!  I want it all or I want my customers to have it all!  Seriously anything I design for my family or friends is always an honour and a joy.





What can punters expect to find at the upcoming autumn market?
I will bring lots of pearls in blues, browns and gold colours - perfect for accessorising autumn and winter clothing. I will have plenty of classic white pearl stud and drop earings, necklaces in a variety of lengths and pearl rings set in sterling silver and gold.  All pieces are elegant and classic in their design, with the primary focus always being to allow the pearls to shine.  I have a few pieces of amber and pearl jewellery which look fabulous with camel or taupe coloured clothing and the classic combination of black and white is always popular.  To add a bit of bling to the table I will be selling individually knotted crystal necklaces in a variety of colours - able to be worn to work and then taken into the evening for a bit of sparkle!


What new projects are you working on and where would you like to see your label in the future?
I am working on a new online shop and accompanying social media to keep up with my customers!  That will be very exciting and refreshing as I love to style my jewellery in different ways - I try to challenge myself all the time, so that it is interesting for me too!

I really love what I do and adore selling, so a long held dream would be to take interested customers to Beijing and share my love for the city and culture of the Chinese people, along with my favourite shopping haunts of course!   I would also be on hand to assist people with their pearl purchases too.
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment