Sunday 8 March 2015

CANVAS AUSTRALIA (Debut Designer)


Tell us about Canvas Australia and how it all began.
I started Canvas Australia after receiving one too many pairs of skimpy pink pyjamas! I looked around and only found designs that were either ultra girly (think lots of pink and cartoon sheep), lacy negligee or very old fashioned. That was when I decided to create Australian made, beautiful, comfortable and contemporary sleepwear for women like me who appreciate good design.




 
 
Why sleepwear?
Most designers focus on what you wear from 9-5, but what about the other hours of your day? Just because you’re at home doesn’t mean you don’t deserve high quality, beautiful, comfortable garments to enhance your day-to-day. Canvas Australia was created to fulfil this need and help you look great in and out of bed.

 
Where do your prints come from?
My mother is an artist and her knowledge and love of art was a great influence when establishing Canvas Australia. With each collection I collaborate with a different Australian Artist to produce fabric prints which showcase the wonderful work being produced by contemporary artists in our country.

 
What can market-folk expect to find at the April event?
Beautiful pyjamas and loungewear! I will have two ranges at Hustle & Scout. The first is the Harbour Collection featuring the art of local Sydney artist Jane Eagger and incorporating Sydney Harbour inspired prints into every style in the range.

The second limited edition Dreamer range is a collaboration with Sydney creative Cecilia Humphrey, the founder of Ceci N’est Pas Creative - an amazing multi-talented graphic and interior designer, photographer, illustrator and painter. Symbolic of the nature of sleep, the designs reflect the poetic conflict between calm and dynamic, creative flow states and are perfect for dreaming in.


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
I love that Hustle&Scout is a place where people can support local unique and innovative fashion and meet others who share a similar view while enjoying a great night out.





MY FAV THINGS


Guilty pleasure: Sunday morning sleep-ins and breakfast in bed, because the rest of my week is so busy!

What you wanted to be when you grew up: My mum’s family is from country Victoria and when I was little I wanted to be a farmer so I could live close to my grandparents.

Fav fashion piece you own: A vintage kimono- I love the colours and the pattern, and how it makes me relax as soon as I put it on.

Place to visit in Canberra: The National Gallery, I can’t wait to check out the James Turrell exhibition as he is one of my favourite artists.

Your role model/s: Miuccia Prada and Louise Bourgeois because their creative practise is constantly evolving, innovative and unique.
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment