Monday 30 March 2015

KERRI-ANNE ANDERSON (Debut Designer)


Tell us a bit about your practice and how you got into making bags.
 
I started sewing when I finished high school. I was looking for a course to pursue and chose clothing and production as I wanted to learn how to sew and make patterns. I studied for three years, ending with an Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design and learnt all the skills to turn a sketch into a product. While my course focused on clothing, I much preferred making bags. When I finished study I struggled to find full time work. My evening part time job left me lots of free time and this is when I decided to start my label, Kerri-Anne Anderson, just for fun. I started attending local markets and joined Etsy a year later. I make all my products from scratch, beginning with my own designs and patterns and finishing with the cutting and sewing.

 
What inspires your designs?

I'm inspired by lots of people - my favourite handbag designers and also handmade designers I've met at markets and online. Fabric shopping is another, the bright colours and fun patterns always get inspiration flowing.


What are your long-terms goals for your label?

Develop a following across my social media platforms and find the perfect market for my items to sell at. I focus a lot on my online Etsy store too, working to maintain regular sales.

 
What can market-folk expect to find at the April event?

Quality handmade items and one of a kind pieces. I sell a range of bags including unisex messenger bags, cross body bags, tote bags plus accessories like women's wallets, clutches and handbag hooks. I add a new style to my shop every month so there will always be something new beyond April too.

 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
 
The fantastic fashion atmosphere and great food surrounded by talented stallholders.
 

 

MY FAVE THINGS



Guilty pleasure:
 
Anything with chocolate!
 
 
What you wanted to be when you grew up?
 
I love creative writing as a kid and wanted to be a author.
 

Fav fashion piece you own:

Skinny jeans - I have lots of different coloured pairs and love how they can mixed and matched with anything.

 
Place to unwind in Canberra:

Any of the festivals and events on in Canberra and of course my sewing room!


No comments :

Post a Comment