Tuesday 17 March 2015

VICTORIA CHU (Debut designer)


Tell us about your label and how the shoe-making adventure began...

After graduating from a gruelling Social Science/ Law degree in 2001 I went in search of something more fulfilling than books and rules.  On my travels I met an English man, fell in love and moved my life to London, setting up home in a small flat with wonky doors and a nomad cat.

I worked hard, saved my pennies and dreamt of creating something more for myself and it was in London that I embarked on a path that would eventually culminate into the fulfilment of a lifelong dream... To make shoes... lots of them.
11 years on and I'm still making shoes: for brides, fashion designers, fashion editors, other shoe makers and many, many, people that share my love for quality, unique footwear.


You see, I feel that a shoe tells a story about a person, it's more than just a fashion item and by making shoes, well, I get to be part of that story.
 
Where do you draw your inspiration from when designing your shoes?

I don't know! Everywhere... and nowhere... I like colour and form.  I guess I start with my last (shoe form) and I work the pattern around what compliments the curvature and intent. From here I play with the colour and try to find a balance between something that is a little out there yet wearable. Shoes are right down low so they need to be speaking up a bit.


How long does it take you to make one pair of shoes?
Ages...seriously, a really long time. It really depends on the shoe. Anywhere from a two days to several weeks.

 
What can market-folk expect to find at the April event?
Two silly people (husband and myself) tinkering away with some shoe making tools, crafting some lovely shoes.

 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
I guess the groundroots, handmade, creative, community kind of vibe. Artisans need to stick together and share ideas, move as a group and grow stronger, a bit like tadpoles.
 

MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: Having a nicer car than my Husband.

What you wanted to be when you grew up: Police officer, not fashion police, real police - Oscar Bravo Delta, over.

Fave item you own: My super retro orange coffee cups that bring in the new day with a warm glowy smile.

Fav place to visit when in Canberra: Asian Noodle House, Dickson. 
 

Want more? Check out www.victoriachu.com.au and watch this awesome vid of shoe-making in action! https://vimeo.com/108740456



No comments :

Post a Comment