Tuesday 24 March 2015

PICADILLY DESIGNS (Debut designer)


Tell us a bit about Picadilly Designs.
After years of sewing and making things for people I looked for something more creative and different. A friend asked me if I could make her a necklace so I gave it a go and became addicted. I was a stay at home mum with three young boys and began experimenting and creating new designs that, to my surprise, sold very well. I began selling at local markets and then travelled to the Henty Field Days where my stall became a regular for ladies wanting to get away from tractors and husbands. Two years ago I took a different direction and began wholesaling my Handmade Wooden Jewellery to businesses all around NSW. Currently we sell to businesses in Young, Cootamundra, Forbes, Orange, Husskison and Griffith.



What inspires your designs?
Girly things, as my home has a serious lack of oestrogen with an extra four males in my household. I need an outlet and jewellery fills that while utilising my creative side.

What has brought you the most joy from your creative practice and why?
Nothing beats going to another town and seeing someone wearing one of my designs. Even better when one of my boys say out loud - "Mum! That lady is wearing one of your necklaces!". Embarrassing, but nice.

What can market folk expect to find at our April event?
A great range of my latest designs in the seasons Pantone colour range made from carefully sourced dyed wooden beads.
 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
The unique atmosphere combined with other great designers whose products will compliment my range of jewellery.
 

MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: Chocolate - do I really need to explain?

What you wanted to be when you grew up: Fashion Designer - when I was under ten I hand stitched a wedding dress for my barbie doll while at my Nan's home. At 13, I designed and made a wedding dress out of calico with hand made ribbon lace just because I wanted to. I have always enjoyed designing and making thinks that people love to wear.

Fashion item you own: Country Girl cowboy boots. I live in the country. They go with a dress as well as jeans. Every country girl should own a pair.

Fav thing about Canberra: Its variety, yet all located close together.

Your role model/s: My late Nan. I thank her for my creative side. I'm sure she is proud that I've continued to be creative.
 
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment