Saturday 7 March 2015

THE SILK BOWERBIRD (Debut designer)


Tell us a bit about The Silk Bowerbird.
 
Designed for modern 'travelistas', The Silk Bowerbird offers a range of luxury travel accessories made from 100% pure silk, combining contemporary design with the traditional art of weaving.
 
Our high quality silk has been hand-woven by women in remote Cambodian villages, empowering them with skilled employment. All accessories are hand-made and screen-printed, ensuring each piece is truly unique.
Proudly designed in Australia, this year’s collection is characterised by bright, bold colours and fun prints. With an emphasis on both design and functionality, our accessories are the perfect way to travel in style.
 
 
 
 
 
 
What inspires your designs?
I look to a variety of places for inspiration such as fashion, travel and nature. Our Hard Candy Collection was inspired (as the name implies) by rock candy pieces, proving you can find inspiration almost anywhere!
 
Colour also plays a big part in our designs. Silk accepts dye incredibly well, which means we can create a vivid depth of colour that you won’t find in other fabrics. Keep an eye out for this season’s Lime green, which has been specially created by weaving a combination of yellow and green threads together. It’s absolutely stunning!
 
In terms of the physical product designs, it’s essential that they’re completely functional to meet the needs of the modern traveller.
 
What has brought you the most joy from your creative practice and why?
I love working with such beautiful textiles. For me the best part of the design process is developing colour and pattern combinations. Colour is a principle element in our designs and as you’ll see from this year’s collection - the brighter the better!
 
I have also enjoyed building relationships with artisans in Cambodia. I wanted to establish a sustainable business and it’s so rewarding to know that they are benefiting through stable skilled employment.
 
 
 
What can market folk expect to find at our April event?
Luxury travel accessories to help keep you organised around the globe; jewellery purses, lingerie cases, eye mask sets and beauty cases. We’ll also have a colourful range of scarves and travel inspired jewellery available on the stand.
 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
My sister-in-law lives in Canberra and gave Hustle & Scout a rave review! I’m looking forward to being part of such a fresh, fun fashion market that actively supports emerging Australian designers.
 
 

MY FAV THINGS

 
Guilty pleasure:
 
I love travelling to amazing places and collecting unique jewellery pieces along the way. This is part of the reason I developed the brand - I needed a cool way to keep my jewellery finds protected on trips! And I couldn’t live without red wine and cheese!
 
What you wanted to be when you grew up:
At one stage an artist, then a film director. I got a little side tracked working in marketing for the last 10 years, but I’m super excited to be back designing and creating.
 
Fashion item you own:
I adore my Gold Skagen Mesh Watch. It‘s a great way to dress up a simple outfit.
 
 
Fav thing about Canberra:
Canberra’s wide leafy streets are simply beautiful in autumn.
 
Your role model/s:
Australian Jewellery Designer Samantha Wills. Her bohemian designs are amazing and I’d love to fill my jewellery purses with her jewels! I’m also a massive fan of Melbourne based homewares brand Bonnie and Neil for their bright textile designs.


No comments :

Post a Comment