Tuesday 18 March 2014

A purpose for re-purpose.

If there was ever a label name that truly reflected the essence and belief-system that inspires its work, it's 9 Lives Co. This jewellery label, based in Sydney, is all about re-purposing and recycling used materials to give them a new life, and to create beautiful pieces that make a statement. Designer, Trudy Pihelgas, is probably better known for her signature zip necklaces and bracelets, as well as her use of recycled rubber tubing. Her use of discarded materials, however, does not stop there. Right now, for example, I am wearing a pair of 9 Lives earrings that were made from plastic knives that were left-over at a friends party and which Trudy obviously saw potential in. Each part of the plastic knife has been carefully curled into a flower-bud shape, enclosing a beautiful blue jewel. How cool is that? I'll never look at plastic cutlery the same again.
 
One of the super exciting things about 9 Lives returning to Hustle&Scout this April is that a new collection of jewellery and accessories will be on show! Read below for all the juicy details, but I just have to say, I am a little bit excited about the men's accessories...keep an eye out gents.
 
 
 
 
 
 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to apply to be a smallholder?
 
I love the fact that Hustle&Scout is young and different from many other markets currently around. The venue is beautiful and modern and Tegan does great job organising the music and fashion shows around the theme. Crowds that visits the market are a mix between older and younger - customers love to get to know the stallholders and their stories. It is easy and very enjoyable to meet your customers that will follow your journey on Facebook and stay in contact with you and your work. 
 
And what kind of market offers you delicious cocktails?! Hustle&Scout is the one and only young and innovative market around that people should come and check out:) Love coming down from Sydney and spending a weekend in creative Canberra!
 
 
How did you get into designing jewellery?
 
I think my interest came from home. My mum was always very good with making dresses and little bread necklaces. I loved the fact that she was always really happy and exited to show me how she made these things, and offered for me to try and create something myself as well. As I got older, and it was time to choose a university to go, I was dreaming about studying design, but unfortunately my dad wasn't that keen on that idea and I ended up studying Political Sciences. I loved it, but I always kept on designing my own clothes and jewellery and dreamt about starting my own business. When I came to Australia 4 years ago, I saw an opportunity here and thought giving my ideas a go. I am so happy that I could start 9 Lives in Sydney where I have received such a nice warm welcome.
 
 
Tell us a bit about your label?
 
There is beauty and usefulness in all things. So much energy, design and creativity is invested in all the materials that we use in our day to day lives. I’ve always used scraps and odds and ends to create my personal work, the whole process of transforming discarded materials into jewellery has always struck me as magical and gratifying. And over the years, that magical process has sent me on a journey of discovery.  This work frees my imagination and provides many opportunities for happy accidents and ideas that influence the finished product.

If this work has a mission, it is this: To see the beauty and potential of all things, and the possibilities that a different point of view can create. It may be an rubber tubing, electrical wires or broken china. Whatever the material or the original purpose, it can be transformed into something new and unexpected with a new and viable reason for existing.
 
 

 
 
What is your creative workplace like?
 
My current workplace is my home in Pyrmont in Sydney, or weekends I work at my mentor's work studio in Alexandria. Pyrmont is a beautiful lovely area around the CBD, it's green and surrounded by water. Most of the time my greatest ideas come when I go for a run or walk around the harbour. 
 
Alexandria is another great little suburb, surrounded by factories and commercial buildings. I have had the pleasure of working with another jewellery designer that owns a studio around that area. This studio has the space and room to play around with different materials and create jewellery that has unique design and 9 Lives signature bold looks.
 
 
 
What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? 
 
I think my current collection that I am working on at the moment is the most exiting one for me. The collection is inspired by royalties and called "Duke and Duchess" - I cannot wait to show it to all my followers and customers around Australia. 
 
I also love creating jewellery from recycled leather and zippers, that currently is probably one of my signature materials that people know me by.
 
 
 
What can punters expect to find at the upcoming autumn market? 
 
They can expect, luxury and lot of gold. My new collection will be shown and displayed in Hustle&Scout in April. :)
 
 
 
What new projects are you working on and where would you like to see your label in the future?
 
I am currently working on opening my own online store. Also I am about to release my latest collection as well. I am happy to say that for the first time ever, 9 Lives is also designing jewellery for gents and I am so exited to see men wearing my pieces. 
 
Future plans?! I would love to sell my jewellery internationally and establish a jewellery label that is unique and has its own signature style that people would recognise. From each collection, I hope everyone finds a piece that they love to own and wear.
 
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment