Wednesday 12 March 2014

Deliciously divine and daring.

I first noticed Zoe Brown's label, WND.LND (as in, Wonderland), on the catwalk at Fashfest last year. Her womenswear collection grabbed my attention immediately. Mixing doll-like femininity with streetwear edge, Zoe's designs are like nothing I have seen before. A CIT Bachelor of Design (Fashion) graduate and lover of all things cute and quirky, Zoe is a designer who is not afraid to take risks with her designs and think laterally about how a garment can make a statement but still be wearable and totally fashion-forward.

WND.LND will showcase a new collection at Fashfest 2014, to be held 30 April to 3 May, at the award-winning Canberra Airport. The venue is a huge space, set up especially for Fashfest, with a modern industrial look. In its raw form, this space is a magnificent backdrop to showcase Canberra’s fashion talent. Check out www.fashfest.com.au and make sure you grab tickets to see Zoe's collection on opening night, 30 April.
 
 
 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to re-apply to be a stallholder?
 
Hustle&Scout is a great opportunity to test out my designs and talk to customers. It allows customers to try on and experience garments in a style that does not say 'thrift shop'.

It is also a great way to catch up with my other creative friends, I find we all end up in the same place and we might as well have fun whilst doing it.
 
What do you love about working with fashion? What keeps you creatively motivated?
I love providing garments to people who want something new! It is such an honour to see people wearing WND.LND pieces! I love to travel - I regularly travel to Melbourne which helps me to gather so much inspiration. But, on the daily, I love to spend hours looking through blogs, pinterst and tumblr to develop spark and new ideas. Also, craft days - I need to organise one with friends soon, they start so many unique ideas.




 
What is the best design advice you’ve been given?
I’m not always one to go by advice, I live by my own rules. If someone says 'jump' I will most likely run the other way. I just like to have fun with my garments and are not to be taken too seriously.
 
 

Do you feel your label is evolving? If so, why and how?
 
WND.LND pieces are becoming a little more streamlined with unique prints and simplistic silhouettes to provide easy-wear garments. In saying this, there will still always be stand out theatrical pieces in the range, for people who are daring…
 
 
Tell us a little bit about your collection for Fashfest 2014.
Its all about ice cream for Winter. I love the contrast between hot and cold. Think waffle prints, fake leather and rainbow swirls. I am experimenting with some sweet head pieces too that I am hoping to have for the show. I have so many ideas and so little time!
 
 
What can punters expect to find at the upcoming autumn market?
People can come see some new pieces from the I-SCREAM collection. Some older pieces from the Garden collection, some flowers and possibly some new accessories! Fingers crossed they can all be done in time :D








No comments :

Post a Comment