Friday 21 March 2014

To live and breathe fashion...

Janette Lenk. Designer, stylist, beauty writer, blogger and new stallholder at our upcoming Hustle&Scout Autumn market. When she is not designing pieces for her womenswear label, T-Heinrich, Janette immerses herself in all things fashion. So much so, in fact, that Janette is in Melbourne at this very minute reporting on the Virgin Australia Melbourne Fashion Week. It's fair to say, Janette lives and breathes fashion and has truly found her creative calling in Canberra and beyond. It is wonderful to have designers such as Janette involved in Hustle&Scout who, through wearing many hats in the fashion world, share our mission of connecting our creative community across a range of platforms. 

We are really looking forward to seeing what fresh T-Heinrich designs are due to hit the Nishi building next month. Expect a colourful assortment of prints and textures, and a mix of vintage and exotic fabrics from around the world. Get a few more hints at what new T-Heinrich pieces you will find at the market as we take 5 with the lovely Janette...




What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to apply to be a stallholder?

I’m insanely excited about my Autumn/Winter 2014 collection and I think Canberra will be too! I have a great combination of prints in one garment and really can’t wait to show them off!

There are so few opportunities in Canberra to showcase our work on a professional platform, and this is a great way to reach a wide cross-section of the community. Hustle&Scout is a creative, accessible environment. Designers can gain exposure which will assist to promote our brands and gain momentum.


How and why did you start your own label?

My mum was the most stylish woman – and still is. I fell in love with clothes the way she did, it was passed down to me. When she dressed me growing up, I soon learnt that I loved fabrics. When I was old enough to hand sew at about 8, I dismantled my first piece of 80’s clothing to recreate my own piece. And it went from there - in college I was at the top of my class and kept on creating pieces. Pieces for friends for summer festival and events then in 2009 I decided to launch my label. My own passion and success was the driver to keep creating and when I wholesaled to a store on Melrose Ave in Los Angeles, I knew I was on to something.
  


How would you describe your design aesthetic?

My appreciation for fashion comes from within, the way a design makes you feel, the way it complements you as person and the way you can express yourself.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?

I am influenced by life, I love to examine how things are made and what they are made of and if they can be made by stitching fabric together! I love flowers, prints and plain things too. I love to reuse fabric when I can but I also like to source them from all over the world. To say that I don’t get inspiration by magazines would be a complete lie, I love to use them to get lost in my own mind and learn from designs.


What ethical approaches do you apply to your design?

My brand is unique; my Autumn/Winter 2014 collection has all been made here in Canberra, some by me. Some fabrics have been reused and some vintage from all over the world.


What can punters expect to find at the upcoming autumn market?

Fresh Autumn/Winter wears for 2014! I have really planned for the chic Canberra woman to be well equipped for the winter. This includes hood scarfs, faux fur hand warmers and midi ponchos! These items will keep you elegantly chic and warm in the winter.


What design projects do you have planned for you and your label for 2014?

I have a few great projects in the works. I am now officially the beauty and fashion writer for Biscuit Magazine. I will be video reviewing a bunch of products and continuing with my ‘what I wore segment' – featuring some of my new collection. In March I will also be heading to Virgin Australia’s Melbourne Fashion week, reporting back on it and checking out the street style. Westfield has its first ever personal styling tours which I will host in March so it will be a fantastic start to the year.






You can follow Janette on Facebook here.

No comments :

Post a Comment