Saturday 1 March 2014

Get your Nixx-fix.

This April, we welcome 12 brand-new stallholders to Hustle&Scout. It is fantastic to have sparked some interest amongst new emerging designers, and it is exciting that we can start to forge relationships between our local and inter-state design community - particularly that of Sydney. Nixx Apparel was started by designer Nikki Hustler (what a fitting last name, eh?) in Sydney, 2006. Her collection is full of easy-to-wear and garments, mixing pieces with a sportswear aesthetic, a formal/corporate edge as well as fun, colourful everyday staples. Each Nixx piece is handmade, and Nikki has lovingly drafted all her patterns, and cut and constructed all garments herself in her home studio.

We are looking forward to checking out the Nixx autumn/winter collection on 12 April.


 

What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to apply to be a stallholder?
I found out about Hustle&Scout through market friends of mine. They had said great things about the market and I was very intrigued by it. I really liked the concept behind it and when I researched it, I was thoroughly impressed with the images of past markets and the information I read. I loved the cool atmosphere and vibe that the markets presented and thought it was the ideal setting and market for my product. It also looks like a great place to meet new people, be inspired by like-minded creatives and appreciate local emerging talent.


 Tell us a bit about your label and the inspiration behind your designs.
I started my label at the end of 2006, just before starting my Bachelor of Design in Fashion and Textiles at the University of Technology Sydney. I attended local markets all the way through my 4 year degree, which gave me first hand experience and helped me figure out what kind of label I wanted to create. For my final year collection in 2010, I created a sportswear collection made of jerseys and knits. That collection also helped the evolution of Nixx as I now predominantly use stretch fabrics to create my designs. My choices of fabrics are my inspirations for my designs. I love the fluidity and endless possibilities that jerseys possess. Most of my designs are drawn initially on paper but really come to life when I realise a design through draping on a mannequin.


 Do you apply any sustainable approaches to your design?
I try to create as little waste as possible when making my designs, although this can sometimes be extremely difficult. I don’t like to just throw away unused fabrics; I try to create a use for them in my designs. However, when the scraps are too small to use, I like to collect them and give them to charity to be used within bedding and cushioning.


What challenges have you faced starting your own label, and what are some things you love about it?
I have faced many challenges during the last 7 years with Nixx, some much bigger than others. I think my main challenge when I was first setting out was creating something unique but still true to what I wanted to do. At University, our teachers used to always make us push the boundaries of what fashion was, which was great as it forced us to break away from the norm. However, when I was first starting up my label, I found that this idea often didn’t translate into selling a product in a much more commercial environment. So I think the biggest challenge for me was finding a happy medium. I feel I achieved this when I discovered my love of stretch fabrications and chose to focus on simple but interesting designs with the use of beautiful fabrics.


 What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
I think my favourite thing I have made for Nixx is probably my Leather & Drape Vest collection I made a few years ago. I created the design by draping on a mannequin. I love the shape that I achieved and the fact that it can look quite simple but complex at the same time!


What can punters expect to find at the upcoming Autumn market?
Nixx will be bringing a new AW14 collection to Hustler&Scout. It will include new jackets, jumpers, leggings, and winter tops and dresses. There are a few animal inspired prints and interesting textures, and as always includes our on going love affair with black and white and stripe fabrics.  It focuses on Ponti fabrics and heavier weight knits, that are comfortable and warmer for the cooler months.


 What design projects do you have planned for your label for 2014?
In 2014, I hope to push Nixx further and see where it takes me. I want to focus on progressing my online presence, as well as presenting my products at unique marketplaces like Hustle&Scout. I would also like to take Nixx to the next step and stock in a small selection of boutique and individual stores that support emerging designers.




No comments :

Post a Comment