Thursday 13 March 2014

Two hands, many treasures.

At Hustle&Scout, we want to showcase the best. We scout for those special designers who are emerging as well as designers who are accomplished and very well-renowned for their trade. Alison Jackson would fall into the latter category. 
 
Alison is a multi award-winning jewellery and hollowware designer, and has well and truly made her mark in Canberra. Her contemporary pieces, made from silver, brass, gold, aluminium, plastic and other materials, have been snapped-up by boutiques, shops and galleries around the country, not to mention exhibited internationally too. The minimalist forms coupled with gorgeous textures and finishes are one thing, but the fact that each piece is completely one-of-a-kind and often the result of days of relentless hammering, shaping and re-working makes them so unique and desirable.
 
On the weekend I bumped into Amanda from HerCanberra at the Kingston markets and couldn't help but immediately notice the delicate silver link bracelet on her wrist. "Is that an Alison Jackson piece?!", I excitedly observed, "Yes it is! My husband Drew bought it for me, I love it". I also often see colleagues of mine at the National Portrait Gallery hover over the Gallery Shop's cabinets pointing at Alison's jewellery, totally in love and counting down the days until pay day. I don't blame them really, I've been in the exact same situation!
 
 

 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to re-apply to be a stallholder?
I first applied for the Christmas market after hearing great things about the debut market back in September. The combination of the location, the timing (Christmas), and the focus of fashion is what drew me in! I love the idea of a more fashion-focused market. It really gives another side of the art & design Canberra community a chance to shine!
 
The Christmas market had such a wonderful vibe, everyone – from stallholders to customers seemed to be loving it!  The chance to be apart of it all again for the autumn market is wonderful! 
 
What do you love about working with fashion? What keeps you creatively motivated?
 
I guess I don’t really work that closely with fashion. I spend a lot of time in my studio, and so a lot of time in my favourite overalls (maybe that counts as fashion, aren’t they back in now?!).
Timeless elegance and simplicity are important elements in my designs. I don’t design new collections each season, or each year. I like that a special piece of jewellery has a story about it, how it came to be yours and that you can treasure it, wearing it whenever and as much as you like.  I think it’s a beautiful connection people form with their jewellery pieces. A lot of my designs have a simple elegance about them, they can just as easily be worn with your favourite t-shirt on a Sunday afternoon as with a beautiful dress on an evening out.
I’m pretty well surrounded by creative people… that’s a great motivator! At the end of the day I love to tinker, to make things, to just be in my studio. Even when I’m sick of one part of my job, there is always something else that you can do to give yourself a break. I also read a lot of blogs and have a border-line unhealthy obsession with Instagram (@studiojackson).
 
 
 

 
Do you feel your label is evolving? If so, why and how?
Most definitely! Over the last five years I’ve continued to develop my practice and figure out what it is exactly I want to being doing. It’s always tricky balancing one-off work for commission and exhibitions alongside more production* work that I sell through retailers and markets. At times some things haven’t really been viable to continue making and other exciting things have taken their place! Working on my label full time has really helped give me more time to develop new pieces for my range and troubleshoot various problems and get things rolling into production.
I’m steadily adding to my list of national stockists and late last year I launched my online shop. I’ve also ventured out and done a few interstate markets. My online shop has been a great point of contact for the customers I meet at markets. Sometimes they just want to think about it a bit longer, or wait for a special occasion – then they can buy online, easy peezy!

* I should mention... when I say ‘production’ these pieces are still made by just my two hands. It is more that these pieces can be made in multiples with a more affordable price point for my customers!
 


 
 
 
What exciting, design projects do you have in stall for 2014?
A few things are lined up! I’m doing a really fabulous photoshoot with local photographer Chrisitine Pobke. There are a few commissions in the works, which are always interesting, new and challenging things to work on.

The other side to my label, my tableware is getting a fair bit of attention. I hope to launch my new range of spoons and other tableware later in the year.
 
 

 
What can punters expect to find at the upcoming autumn market?
 
I will have the full range of my signature collection at the autumn market as well as my newer range, the Wanderers’ Collection featuring two toned brass pieces. I’m currently adding more pieces to that collection, so Hustle&Scout’s autumn market will be their debut!
 
 
 


No comments :

Post a Comment