Monday 10 March 2014

The cause for a second-life frock.

At Hustle&Scout, we value vintage fashion as much as we do independent designer fashion. Why vintage, you ask? Well, there are two reasons really. First, we believe vintage and second-hand clothing plays a vital role in the recycling of fashion and encourages shoppers to be mindful of the life-cycle of a single garment. By exposing and showcasing businesses that collect and on-sell second-hand pieces, we hope punters will grow more aware of the importance of donating and buying used clothing, thereby maintaining a sustainable cycle of consumerism and reducing the requirement of landfill space. Second, we LOVE the classic cuts, the quality, and the nostalgia of vintage pieces. Vintage mixed with contemporary pieces can create a totally unique look - there's no reason why we can't be fashion-forward whilst still glancing back.  
 
Abbey Road Vintage is one of our new stallholders to Hustle&Scout, and collector Belle Strahorn is also a great believer in the importance recycling fashion and giving garments a second life. With a passion for making each of her customers feel absolutely beautiful in her garments, we know Belle will fit right in to the Hustle&Scout spirit.
 
 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you apply to be stallholder?
It’s fresh and fun. There’s an atmosphere of enthusiasm for fashion, which is quite contagious. It’s an encouraging environment for designers and lovers of fashion to showcase their wares and at the same time bring a smile to market goers' faces.
 
Where do your pieces come from and when did you start collecting them?
I’ve harboured a fascination, love and appreciation for things of yesteryear for many years, which has cemented my opinion that perhaps I was born into the wrong era! I used to love perusing through antique stores with my mum as a child and fossicking through her wardrobe as a teenager, so I guess my love for vintage started there.  Mum had a humdinger of a style going on in the 70’s.  I remember when I found her ripper of a pair of cowboy boots from 1972, which were squashed into the wardrobe corner collecting copious amounts of dust. I almost died the day I discovered her bright pink hand beaded tee with sequins in an intricate design of the iconic New York City sky line. Dad had picked it up for her in Taiwan in the 80’s and gosh I thought it was cool. I also found a selection of silk scarves which looked like they’d fallen straight out of a scene from Woodstock. I guess it was then that my passion for finding charming pieces from the past began.
 
I find my treasures from op shops, people’s wardrobes and vintage stores all over the country. I like to spend time sifting through all sorts of garments to find a gem. You can develop a real eye for what pieces you think will work with the look you are trying to achieve.
 
What is it about vintage styles and silhouettes that you love?
Vintage garments are so much fun to wear. I find it intriguing to imagine the story behind each special treasure. There’s a real thrill imagining who would have worn a particular piece, how many years ago and where they were going when wearing it. I guess I want to encourage people to create their own individual style by adding vintage treasure to their modern wardrobe. I have one special piece in my collection that is a white reception suit, worn after a wedding in the 60’s. It’s delicate and sweet and so pretty, I’m still fanaticising who would have worn it and how they would have looked. No one has snapped it up yet, I guess it’s waiting for that special someone. The other great thing about vintage is if you're stuck for style inspiration you don't have to look very far. Just turn back the clock and take a glance at the fashions from yesteryear, they all come around again.
 

 
Do you think buying vintage plays an important role in sustainable consumerism? Why?
Without a doubt. Old items are there to be re-used not just thrown away. Billions of pieces of clothing in Australia go un-worn each year and end up in recycling or landfill. Buying second-hand treasures means you can create an old/new look without the additional impact that today’s fast fashion has. Vintage clothing so often stands the test of time compared to modern mass manufactured pieces. Garments back then were made to last, created with love and more natural fibres so they feel better when wearing them too.  Breathing new life and love into old garments is pretty special.
 
Who is the Abbey Road customer?
Someone who likes to mix it up a little. Clothes are an expression of who you are.  I think the secret to successfully pulling off the vintage look is not necessarily to lash out head to toe in vintage clothing. For me, the rule is if you wear something vintage; also wear something that’s not vintage. Try a pretty vintage dress teemed a stone wash denim jacket. Or a sweet smocked blouse from the 60’s with leather pants. You’ll be surprised at what vintage pieces work with your current wardrobe.
 
What can punters expect to find at our autumn market?
Everyone likes a pretty frock right? My latest collection features a number of fancy frocks from the past.  There’s spotty and striped dresses, sweet afternoon tea frocks, others with Paisley prints and psychedelic swirls, pastel coloured woollen numbers, bright maxi dresses, bejewelled vests, gorgeous reception suits and a couple of delicate wedding dresses too.
 
   


No comments :

Post a Comment