Thursday 6 March 2014

From architecture to fashion design.

Local label, Aperiodic, will feature at the upcoming Hustle&Scout, and we're a little bit excited about it.

There's nothing like high-quality, carefully constructed and sustainable fashion, not to mention pieces that have distinct and very unique design qualities. Designer, Stephanie Cooper, is a graduate of the CIT Bachelor of Design (Fashion) and the creative brain behind Aperiodic. Fashion design was not Stephanie's first stint of study. Originally an architecture student, Stephanie fuses the language and skill of both disciplines to construct structural and somewhat ethereal and experimental pieces that command closer inspection.

Designers such as Stephanie, who are really pushing the envelope with their fashion design, are often a rare gem, but we are lucky here in Canberra to have a quality group of budding designers that we can now access more readily. The Canberra design community is growing stronger by the season, and rest assured that future Hustle&Scout markets will aim to bring more designers such as Stephanie into the spotlight and armed with innovative pieces for you to try and buy. Who needs shopping malls anyway, eh?


 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to apply to be a stallholder?
I applied to be a stallholder as I love that Hustle&Scout supports local and emerging design. Canberra has so many amazing designers and the public really embrace it, so this is such a great way to gain exposure. As a new label, I'm really interested in getting to talk to my consumer as they are looking and trying garments on, to gain some feedback about what works, what they like etc. It's the first time that I will be selling to the public so I'm very excited!


Tell us a bit about your label.
Aperiodic is a conceptual-based womenswear label which I started in my second year of CIT. Prior to studying fashion, I studied architecture at the University of Canberra, but changed to fashion to work on a more intimate, hands-on scale. Once studying fashion, it became obvious that there was a common visual and intellectual language and process between the two design disciplines, and my architecture background helped to quickly define my aesthetic and approach to fashion.
 
The conceptual design process is an integral part of Aperiodic. Drawing inspiration from the design process itself, Japanese and Scandinavian tradition and design, as well as artists such as Claire Morgan, Aperiodic creates garments with a minimalist, yet richly layered aesthetic. This approach creates timeless garments designed to overcome trends and physically last in the wardrobe, creating a slower, more highly valued system of fashion.

 

 

What challenges have you faced starting your own label, and what are some things you love about it?
I've found that the biggest challenge starting my own label is typically financial. Most designers have another job to fund their label, but this then cuts into your time design.  A balance is hard to find! That being said there are lots of things that I love about having a fashion label. The best moment is when you see someone try on your design for the first time and they are so excited, it's a lovely feeling.


Where do you draw your inspiration from for your designs?
My inspiration comes from lots of different places. My initial starting point generally focuses on an artist or a particular artwork. Previous artists that I have used for inspiration include artist and photographer Greg Sand and visual artist Claire Morgan. They tend to use similar themes such as the notion of change. I try to connect each collection, drawing on certain elements to inform the next. I hope that this allows the most successful element of each collection to be further developed, ensuring good design.
 

What sustainable approaches do you apply to your design?
I have always felt that the most effective approach to sustainable design is to ensure that what I design and make stays in the wardrobe for years to come. This helps to prevent simply adding to the growing waste pile that represents current consumer consumption patterns. Aperiodic's minimalist aesthetic doesn't follow trends, but rather designs with the realisation that the needs of the wearer will change over time.


What can punters expect to find at the upcoming autumn market?
My lovely consumers can expect an Autumn/Winter collection full of versatile pieces that will be able to fit straight into their wardrobes. These include my favourite structured wool pieces as well as my first foray into knits, in the form of snuggly cardigans. The colour palette is quite subdued this season, allowing the textures and silhouettes to standout. The inspiration came from elements from my last collection that I produced for Australian Graduate Fashion Week, combined with the nature of the fabrics used.

What design projects do you have planned for your label in 2014?
Post Hustle&Scout I'm looking into taking Aperiodic to a bigger scale, so I guess my next big project will be finding stockists!


 

If you would like to read more about Stephanie, check out these blog posts by the lovely Vanisha, a recently departed Canberra resident with a real soft spot for the Aperiodic label.

http://vanishaslife.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/my-style-in-different-light.html

http://vanishaslife.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/fashion-and-architecture-canberra.html

No comments :

Post a Comment