Monday 3 March 2014

Woodfolk for hustlin'folk.

When we first poured over Woodfolk's application, we were immediately hooked. This jewellery and accessory label creates pieces with a distinct look and feel that fits right into the Hustle&Scout aesthetic. Designer, Julia Denes, is based in Sydney and is the brains behind the beautiful, natural and rustic creations that give Woodfolk a special edge. We can't wait to check out her collection of treasures on 12 April!
 
 
 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to apply to be a stallholder?
I’m based in Sydney so I loved the idea of showcasing my brand in Canberra. As soon as I heard about Hustle&Scout I knew Woodfolk would fit right in. Supporting independent designers, quality work and handmade, this market is a great opportunity for me to meet new customers and promote my brand.
 
Tell us a bit about your label and the inspiration behind your designs.
Woodfolk was brought into this world with the intention of creating a stylish and beautiful accessories range made entirely of natural materials and fabrics. As a break from our fast moving world, Woodfolk aims to bring you down to earth, a slower pace, honest and authentic, and of course lovely to wear. Simply designed, our gentle colour palette brings a sense of comfort and ease to your everyday wardrobe.
All Woodfolk products are proudly designed in Australia and proudly made by Nepali artisans, throughout local and remote areas of Nepal. These artisans use their master skills to create beautiful and quality accessories through traditional carving, natural dying, knitting and weaving techniques. Working with those that are disadvantaged is a hugely important part of Woodfolk. We have chosen to work with smaller family-run businesses and women-focused organisations, providing them with financial assistance in order to help support them to build a better future for themselves and their families.
 
 
 Do you apply any sustainable approaches to your design?
Absolutely! With our items made from natural wood, ceramic, cotton, and lamb’s wool, we feel very happy to be using sustainable materials that nature has provided us with, without having to look too hard to find them, and without needing to fabricate them ourselves. These materials go through the cycle with us, and when no longer needed, can be turned into something else or recycled. Product packaging has also been carefully considered. Incorporating traditional ink and hand-pressed stamps, all paper used for packaging is recycled, all leather labels naturally dyed, and all jewellery pouches 100% cotton.
 
What challenges have you faced starting your own label, and what are some things you love about it?
Choosing to start your own business is a huge decision and it can be very easy to get in your own way, especially in the early days. Learning to trust the natural flow of the business and take each day as it comes has been a huge learning experience for me.
 
I love what Woodfolk represents, the earthiness and authenticity. And I absolutely love working with wood and ceramics.
 

 
What is your absolute favourite thing you have made? Why?
It’s really hard to choose just one piece. At the moment I’m loving wearing my beautiful large carved wood bangle. I wear it everywhere. I couldn’t sell it, it was calling my name!
 
What can punters expect to find at the upcoming Autumn market?
Our beautiful wood and ceramic pieces of jewellery of course, as well as some Winter wool scarves and bags.
 
What design projects do you have planned for your label for 2014?
I’m starting to design some natural style homewares to go with my accessories. This is new territory for me but it’s been really fun and creative. I’ll be launching it in August.
 
 
 


No comments :

Post a Comment