Monday 18 May 2015

Georgie Cummings.



Tell us about your eponymous accessories label, Georgie Cummings, and how it all began.
 
I had just finished Industrial Design at RMIT in Melbourne and was looking to build on extra skills so began trying my hand at anything that came along. Leather work my housemate was playing around with and an internship at screen printing studio PrintInk were the two that stood out and help me build confidence to try the skills in my own work. Combining these two was a natural progression and I've enjoyed seeing the label grow and mature over time to represent well-made pieces that will age gracefully and be well loved.

 
Tell us about the sustainable aspects of your label.

With the exception of a few bits of trim all leather used to vegetable tanned kangaroo leather sourced from Tasmania. This is important to be to not only use locally tanned leather as there is more control over any waste outputs, but also utilise a creature which is part of cull programs. No matter how you feel about the programs, it is thanks to human impact such as urbanisation and cleared farm land that kangaroo populations boom, and I believe it is a better choice to make the most of this resource and avoid using introduced species. Another main point is to design pieces that are made to last, by using quality materials and thoughtful design! As well as this I try to use re-usable or recyclable packaging wherever possible.
 

You use a lot of screen printing techniques in your work – what do you love most about this art form?

After doing the internship (which turned into 4 years of employment!) with PrintInk in Melbourne I began to love the contribution print can make to a design. It can add something special and make it stand out, as the foil print does, but also will soften beautifully over time. I love that a good print can instantly lift a piece and also be an aspect of the design that can change, while the core design idea can stay the same.


 
What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?

I'll have my range on show in Tassie for the first time and, as I've just moved to Hobart myself, I'm keen to get to know the island and immerse myself in this unique place - so you never know, there maybe a few special pieces inspired by this! It will also be great to bring the design and materials home together, to be able to work with leather that comes from Tassie will help it feel more complete and genuine.

 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be involved?

A friend in Canberra told me about a great market she frequents that sounded different to anything that was in Melbourne at the time, and I wished I could get to Canberra at the times of Hustle&Scout. It was fortuitous to hear about the Hobart market happening right on my new door step so I jumped at the chance! I love that this market showcases the local fashion and accessories that can be often missed in other market - small labels who don't have shops can struggle to find an audience, but Hustle&Scout makes it easy for shopping locally and getting great pieces you know not everyone will have! 
 
 

 



MY FAVE THINGS



Guilty pleasure:
Being able to make leather accessories for myself - luckily other people like them too!
 
Song on your ultimate mixtape:
I saw Glass Animals recently, their last show before going back to write and record another album, and they blew me away. Hearing 'Gooey' as I stitch in the studio gives me good vibes.
 
Fashion piece you own:
At the moment a down-fill parka as I contemplate ways to survive the Tasmanian winter! However, in reality, the items I forever cherish are handmade, passed down or traded with friends. It gives them back stories and lasting memories that outlive any trends.
 
Place to unwind in Hobart:
Atop Mt Wellington the view, if you see it between passing cloud, helps put things in perspective. Failing that a cocktail at Ash and Besters bar doesn't go astray.
 
Item in your studio:
My beloved stitching pony. Made by the dear friend who taught me to do my first stitch this handmade contraption has seen many long hours hand stitching pieces together. While the maker claims he would change a thing or two in the next version, I don't think I'll ever give this one up!
 

No comments :

Post a Comment