Tuesday 26 May 2015

RedPeg Eco Studio.


Tell us about RedPeg Eco Studio and what inspires your designs.
RedPeg Eco Studio is a small one woman “Open Studio” on the far south coast of NSW in the beautiful Bega Valley. You’ll find me in ‘The Peg’ most days, tinkering. Whether it be working on a custom order or melting down scrap silver and reworking it or in mad production mode, working on 40 pairs of individual earrings all at once.

My work is inspired by the material. I work in only recycled metal, predominantly sterling silver, but more recently recycled copper coins as well. I manipulate the metal and find form and aesthetic through this process. I'm most often inspired by the natural world and the wonderful patterns found in nature, although the man made world, like architecture and design creep in as well. It so hard to specifically say what inspires me - everything!


How did you get into making jewellery?
My training is in sculpture, so my jewellery making is an extension of that. I love working in construction based disciplines and find the jewellery making process to be the same, just on a smaller scale.

 
What item in your studio could you not live without, and why?

Probably my hammers and mandrels. So much of my time is spent banging and shaping with these tools. I'd be lost without them.

 
What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?
My recent body of work are the “Organica” and “Lotus” series. These are designs inspired by the chaos of natural pattern and shapes as well as the repetition and harmony found in the natural environment. Interpreted in earrings,
rings, bangles and necklaces for both him and her.

 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
I love the uniqueness of Hustle&Scout, the market being carefully curated to showcase local designs and fashion. It’s more of an experience than your average market in that every stall holder is a creative independent designer and maker. I just hope I have time to pop out from behind my stall and see all the awesomeness that is Hustle&Scout.

 

MY FAVE THINGS

Guilty pleasure:
Chocolate is my weakness! Not many days pass where I don’t indulge.

What you wanted to be when you grew up:
Is it terrible to admit I wasn’t very ambitious? I guess I was always going to do something with my hands. I’ve always been a hands-on person.

Fave fashion piece you own:
Ever changing, but at the moment, it’s my little ‘me made’ raw silk tunic dress. Yep, I’m a sewer as well.

One place you’d like to visit when in Hobart:
Hey MONA Ooooh MONA.
 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment