Sunday 17 May 2015

Kate Piekutowski Design.


Tell us about your eponymous label, Kate Piekutowski Design, and how it all began...

My practice as an artist began through my printmaking, where I became really fascinated with my Polish heritage. After several exhibitions of my work I began expanding my concept in other areas including jewellery and painting. This year I have started a clothing line called Dear Sadie with a fashion designer, Sam Ekert, where I have incorporated and manipulated some of my etchings within the pieces. Through this inspiration, these designs are expanding my own understanding of art and make the viewer see boutique fashion in a new and exciting light.


You draw a lot of inspiration from your Polish heritage – in what ways do you explore this in your designs?

Yes, I am very fascinated with my Polish heritage and European background and I have explored this through various motifs. Drawing inspiration from folk art and stylized buildings I have tried to use layering and depth to give my designs a unique and conceptual result. Red, grey, black and white are constant colours I use within my practice as it creates a striking piece but also creates a parallel to Poland. The lace patterns and hand-colour is also evident within my practice and references the European folk culture that I believe is such an important part of culture and development of our society.


What brings you the most joy from your creative practice?

I think I get joy from my creative practice because I feel like each piece that I work on reveals another part of my identity. When a customer purchases my work, I am so happy that someone has connected with what I do and the ideas behind it. There is nothing more satisfying.
 



What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?

You can expect in the June event to find a new range of jewellery made out of silver, brass and polymer clay. Expect bright colours and lots of oxidized silver! There will also be a new range of exciting and exclusive clothing to Hobart.

 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be involved?

I am so excited to be part of Hustle&Scout, not only because it’s a fantastic opportunity to get my designs out there but because it will be wonderful to meet new and upcoming designers!


 

MY FAVE THINGS


 
Song on your ultimate mixtape:
 
The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel is probably my favourite song at the moment because the melodies are so beautiful. I find it inspiring to listen to especially when I am working as it brings the emotion out in my work.


Meal to have cooked for you:
 
Baked eggs with homemade coriander pesto, avocado and fetta on fresh olive bread! I love this for breakfast as it’s so fresh and zesty!


Fashion piece you have made:
 
The cropped architecture top is one of my favourite pieces at the moment. Its definitely got a bit of a ‘hipster’ feel to it but with a chunky red necklace it is so funky!


Place to unwind in Hobart:
 
I love Salamanca! As I live in Battery Point I love just to be in this area and hang out at the different bars and cafes. Preachers and Barcelona are probably my favourite spots.


Item in your studio:
 
My favourite item in my studio would by my French watercolour set. I don’t like to be anywhere without it because the colours are so beautiful!

No comments :

Post a Comment