Friday 15 May 2015

The Spotted Quoll Studio.



Tell us about your label, The Spotted Quoll Studio, and how it all began.

On a winter’s night many years ago, I sat at the attic window of a secluded sandstone shack in the heart of Freycinet Tasmania. I was mesmerised by a huge yellow moon so full and bright that I couldn’t sleep. Heavy surf pounded the shoreline close by and rattled the old windows...birds chirped cheerily in the nearby bushland as they settled and roosted for the night. In the dark of the night, with the light of the moon as a back drop, the world seemed to be outlined with black ink marker.  In those moments I realised that something had to change in my life, it was a fleeting certainty, but a moment in time that changed everything. I just knew that there was no going back and that my purpose was to make a change in my life, one that would have a positive effect on others and most importantly be part of a positive change in the world, one that embraced change rather than ignoring the problem as being too big to fix!

This was the setting for the birth of The Spotted Quoll Studio. The next morning I woke early to see a sea mist burning away in the gentle sunshine of a Tasmanian Winter’s day. The first thing I grabbed was a clean white piece of paper and a pen, and started jotting down all the ideas that had swirled around in my head most of the night, inspiration pouring out and onto the page.

Hours disappeared before I emerged to realise that in one weekend (and over a few good bottles of fine Tassie Pinot) I had put together an entire business plan: to create environmentally inspired designs for the home and body, based on the natural, native flora and fauna surrounding me.  I wanted to not only bring awareness of our natural wonders to the table, but a real plan to educate people about our endangered species and to contribute financially to saving them...and I have to admit the selfish side of me really wanted to be inspired and do something I really love and for it to be less about money!


Emma Leslie Photography



Where do you draw your design inspiration from?

Now this is a one liner sorry…nature of course, the wild, the crisp Tassie air, and the very tactile nature of being on a remote wild island so far from anywhere!


Take us through a typical ‘studio’ day…

Never one day is the same here at SQ HQ, it really depends on our customers. If we are busy with selling in our concept store, a lot of my day-to-day designing, making, research and development, wholesale packing and so on is done after hours. I have lots of late nights (it is when I do my best thinking and therefore my best work), and a big percent of new ranges are designed in the shower as this is usually the only pause in a very hectic day, especially with a 3.5 year old in toe. I always start the day with a strong coffee and my weekly treat is a Coco Bean hot chocolate. I juggle a lot (I should have joined the circus I think) as our range is so broad there is never a moment of any day that isn’t packed to the rafters with planning, organising, marketing, making, designing, packing and looking forward at the next thing - exactly the way I like it!





Emma Leslie Photography
What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?

Well June in Tassie is cold to say the least! So our range for winter features lots of pure Australian wool products, woven, designed and made in Tasmanian like snoods, capes, wonderful scarves…and oh so many wonderful scarves in either wool or bamboo. Plus we are working on a luxe range of 18 micron (super soft, super warm) merino wool vests and drape cardies to melt your heart. Ooooh and some Australian wool crocheted slouch beanies for the entire family. 


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be involved?

It is a wonderful representation for Aussie designers and I LOVE the H&S styling - it hits close to my heart and I know my customers will also LOVE it! Plus how exciting to be part of the very first Tassie event right in the middle of our Dark Mofo Festival.


MY FAVE THINGS



Song on your ultimate mixtape:

Oooh this is a hard one as my ultimate mixed tape changes with the wind for me and really depends on what is going on in my life at the time. Maybe at the moment I like Missy Higgins' 'NYE' as it is a little upbeat and fun and reminds me of being young and free…


Meal to have cooked for you:

I am a chilli addict so I love curries as HOT as you can tolerate them, until you sweat and you get left with a warm afterglow, if it is packed full of chilli then I love it! I am told they are a super food, full of Aunty Who’s! I ate so many when I was pregnant my son Eli’s favourite food is Tamar Valley Chili cheese, it has a real bite!


Fashion piece you have made:

My fave fashion piece would have to be my very first wool snood, I live in it, goes with everything, keeps me warm and looks effortlessly awesome... plus I LOVE orange at the moment!


Place to unwind in Hobart:

Haha this is a funny one as once I would have said anywhere with a good wine bar and fresh seafood (oysters especially); these days it would be more like the Zoo at Richmond so Eli can see the animals and a quiet lunch in a local café! How things change!!


Item in your studio:

Our succulent and cactus collection (living gifts) - they are like little pets, you care for them, water them and they grow, only you don’t need to walk them and they are much less messy. I really love being surrounded with life and we are privileged to have a studio that backs onto the City Park. We have wooden bi-folds that open in the summer into the trees, we can hear the fountain, birds and smell the summer breeze. It really is a wonderful place to be, doesn’t feel like work at all!

No comments :

Post a Comment