Thursday 28 May 2015

Melly Frank.


Tell us about your jewellery label, Melly Frank, and how it all began.
I decided to create my jewellery label after a working holiday in the UK in 2006. I knew I had always wanted to live a creative life and when I witnessed artisans running their own little shops in a town called Peebles in Scotland I realised that this is what I had always wanted for myself.

I completed a Diploma in Art, Craft and Design at the Tasmanian Polytechnic college and my love of creating jewellery from sterling silver began.
 
 
Where do you draw your design inspiration from?

Living on this amazing island and being surrounded by so much open space is a constant inspiration for me....The fact that I have a view of a mountain from my studio window is a constant source of inspiration. The view is different every day. Change is what inspires my work the most. Change is the law of nature, nothing is constant, everything is always changing. I developed my Vessel Series with this in mind. I create little vessels that house materials such as ribbon and lace. The materials are not a permanent feature they are able to be changed by the wearer. Tasmanian Leatherwood Honey, the awesomeness of bees and their keepers is also an inspiration for me and they played a part in the development of my Honeycomb Collection.

What does a typical Melly Frank ‘making’ day look like?

I like to start as early as possible in my studio after a brisk morning walk or run with my dog Reko. If I have had a new idea I will spend quite a bit of time playing around with different compositions and experimenting with materials until I get the look that I am after.

What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?
I have been working on a new range of work called “Flight” inspired by the graceful movements of birds and I am looking forward to launching this at the June event.

Market goers can also expect to find lots of dainty rings that fit nicely under woolly winter gloves. Sleeping Stone ring stands will also be making an appearance. They love to wear rings on their heads like a crown when ones finger needs a rest.

What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be involved?
I’ve heard great things from previous stall holders about Hustle and Scout and I’ve heard the people running the show are pretty awesome too. Plus the venue is fabulous and I reckon this event will brighten up everyone’s winter.
 

 

MY FAVE THINGS


Song on your ultimate mixtape: The Cure - Doing the Unstuck - it always gets me out of a funk!

Meal to have cooked for you: Vego Lasagne - its such good winter comfort food.

Fashion piece you have made: My Annica neckpiece that I made in 2013 for the Pushing the Boundaries exhibition. It’s the biggest piece I have made to date.

Place to unwind in Hobart: Bushwalking around Hobart. There are so many lovely walks around this city that are easily accessible and great for unwinding any time of the day.

Item in your studio: My heater!  I would freeze in the winter without it.
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment