Thursday 21 May 2015

Under the Shade of a Bonsai Tree.


Tell us about Under the Shade of a Bonsai Tree and how it all began…

I dabbled in jewellery making when I was younger and had a stall at Salamanca Market to fund my first overseas trip. I got back into it when looking for a creative outlet whilst on maternity leave and started to experiment with semi-precious stones, polymer clay and Japanese chiyogami paper. My pieces were a bit of a hit amongst friends and was encouraged to set up an Etsy store and it took off from there with design markets and picking up stockists around Australia and overseas.




Where or who do you look to for design inspiration?

I especially love travelling and whenever I am away I sketch ideas from things I see around me, from the local flora to the traditional folk art. When I return I have often finished these designs and have created a range of products inspired by those places or have used supplies purchased in those places.

Japan is just full of amazing culture with traditional art full of vibrancy, intricate patterns and meaning and many of my pieces include various Japanese icons such as the origami crane and cherry blossom. Apart from the traditional Japanese designs, I love to incorporate a contemporary edge which may come from current colour trends and themes.

 
What item in your studio could you not live without and why?

My stereo. I love grooving away (and singing badly) to some tunes whilst working. Lately it’s been Lurch & Chief, Courtney Barnett and Kingswood.


When you’re not working, what do you like to do for fun?

There isn’t a huge amount of time away from work and children, but when there is I love going to see bands, a bit of yoga and trying out the awesome bars and restaurants in Hobart. I love to travel to fun and interesting destinations too.


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?

It’s quirky and fun and different from other markets. It’s wonderful to have a fashion event that focuses on local, ethical and sustainable designs and it’s great to highlight the awesome creative talent in Tasmania and also have the opportunity to meet the fabulous interstate stallholders who will also be there. I love the inclusion of live music too.


MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure:
Watching Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries with a Pimms in hand on a Friday night.

What you wanted to be when you grew up:
I wanted to be a travel agent. I completed a diploma of tourism management when living in Melbourne and worked in the industry for a couple of years which was great, especially as it involved lots of free travel.

Fave fashion piece you own:
When I went to Tokyo last I bought a very cute scarf from a stall at the Earth Garden festival. It’s made with teal cord fabric, has cute coloured triangles sewn on it, and the back is warm and fluffy which is perfect for the Tasmanian weather right now. I hope to go back there one day as a stallholder myself!

Fave place to unwind in Hobart:
Alabama Hotel - filled with fabulous retro furniture and cool artwork, awesome staff and good vibes.

Your role model/s:
Amanda Palmer. Apart from her awesome music and eccentric style which I love, she has a great approach to art, individuality and some of her ideas and her use of creative marketing has been really inspiring.

No comments :

Post a Comment