Tuesday 5 May 2015

Hobart, here we come...

Recently I took a trip down to what is affectionately known as the 'Apple Isle'. I always wondered why Tasmania was called the Apple Isle... I later learnt that Tassie was renowned in the 1900s for its production of apples and jam, of all things. One hundred years earlier it was championed as one of the world's greatest whaling ports. Since the mid twentieth century, the island's reputation has grown synonymous with a vibrant food and wine culture unlike anywhere else in Australia. The increase in boutique farming, paired with fun Tassie creations such as television show, The Gourmet Farmer, and festival The Taste of Tasmania, has helped to nurture this. However, food is not the only thing that keeps people like me returning to the island for more. The creative and artistic undercurrents that surge through every region of Tassie I have visited are what pull me back, and have inspired me to run the first interstate Hustle&Scout in Hobart.




I knew Hobart was special from the moment I first touched down in the historic city (our second-oldest capital city, in fact!) in May last year. Wandering from Battery Point down to Salamanca, with that big, brooding fellow, Mount Wellington, watching over me in the distance, I couldn't help but feel an immediate connection to this magical little city. When I explored the alluring alleys of the Salamanca Arts Centre, the buzzing shopfronts selling arts, homewares, clothing, wines, cheeses (and other goodies guaranteed to leave your wallet bare) quickly became my afternoon hang-out. The smell of coffee wafting from around the corner made my tastebuds tingle, and watching local folk greet each other like family struck a familiar chord and made me think of home. A morning at the Salamanca Markets followed by an afternoon at MONA was the icing on a cake that would entice seconds, even thirds.

Suffice to say, Hobart had me at 'hello'.




After months of working with some incredible Tasmanian-based designers - Hanna of Nanna Woo, Tanja Von Behrens and Simone Pfister of Hunter Seeker Maker - Hustle&Scout Hobart is on its way to throwing down its first event outside of the Capital. Hanna Woolley, the big brain behind jewellery label Nanna Woo, has been a huge inspiration for me in branching my business outside of Canberra, which was a daunting concept at first. When I saw the passion she had for the Hustle&Scout brand, and the pure determination to bring a slice of the excitement to Tasmania's shores, it was impossible for me not to give it a go. 

The event will take place in the Long Gallery and Sidespace Gallery of the Salamanca Arts Centre 20-21 June, two spaces that boast a warmth and intimacy that will suit Hustle&Scout to a tee. The Long Gallery, with its French doors, rows of oaken columns and limewashed sandstone walls, was once used to house can-labelling machinery in the jam factory days (so many fun facts). The event will be a much more scaled-down version of what we do in Canberra to fit this unique space, and I'm excited about re-connecting with the roots of Hustle&Scout as an immersive, intimate event celebrating Australian fashion. The timing for a pop-up winter event is perfect, as we continue our search for a new venue in Canberra, ready to launch a spring event at the new (yet-to-be-confirmed) digs in September.


Tanja Von Behrens, Simon Pfister, Me, Caitlin Bosua (wearing Pony Black with Hunter Seeker Maker necklace), Sam Bertram (wearing Corr Blimey and Silver Atom brooch), Hanna Woolley & Rachel Dean. Image: Natalie Mendham photography in the SAC Kelly Gardens.


Soon, we will be announcing our designer line-up and slowly releasing the results of our recent photoshoot with Hobart-based photographer, Natalie Mendham. We are super excited to be featuring 33 designers from around Tasmania and the mainland. For me, it was important to strike a balance between supporting Tasmanian designers, whilst also bringing some fresh talent to a Tasmanian audience by opening up applications to all Australian designers. Wait until you see the result...the standard of product is going to be impressive, to say the least.

And in case you didn't know, the event will coincide with DARK MOFO's Winter music and arts festival - if you ever needed a good excuse to visit Tassie, now's the time.

- Tegan x

No comments :

Post a Comment