Wednesday 20 May 2015

Wendy Voon.


Image: Adele Cochran
Tell us about your eponymous womenswear label, Wendy Voon, and how it all began.
I established my label and designed my first collection whilst completing an Advanced Diploma in Clothing and Footwear at RMIT University.  My first collection was picked up by a boutique owner who was  known for her support of up and coming designers.  As someone who had previously worked for large organisations, starting my own thing was the path I was interested in pursuing, once I'd completed my studies. 

I have always been a knitter, I learnt when I was young...I used to knit and crochet outfits for my dolls when I was in primary school. Whilst in high school a family friend taught me how to follow knit patterns; so armed with the Jenny Kee book of knit patterns  – I was away. 

For the first few years, it was just me on my simple and reliable hand knit machine (from the late 70's/early 80's), now I work with local makers who utilise the same sort of hand knit machines, and also with a local manufacturer utilising the latest knit technology.
 
Tell us about the process and techniques involved in manufacturing your knitwear.
I usually begin with sampling on my own hand knit machine to come up with the best kind of fabric for the yarn I am using – which machine to use, how loose or tight to make the knit, which stitch techniques work.  I will then prototype garment ideas to see through shaping and construction ideas.  Once I am happy with the sample I will then hand over my designs to my makers. 

Or I may begin with a sketch and take it to my local manufacturer to see how he can translate it using his  programming skills and industrial machines – this becomes a collaborative effort as we work with design and mechanical possibilities and limitations to come up with the final design.
 
Image: Dominic Hogan
 

What brings you the most joy from your creative practice?
The unexpected outcomes from the design process.  I often begin sampling for a piece with an outcome in mind, but through unexpected mistakes/happy circumstance, another idea can reveal itself that I hadn't considered.

Also, seeing my garments bought to life on my customers, and that moment when someone tries a piece on – and it's perfect for them.


What can market-folk expect to find at the June event?
The market will be a chance for Hobart to see my full collection - which includes jumpers, cardigans, wraps and scarves, as well as limited edition pieces that are only available directly through markets.



What is it about Hustle&Scout Hobart that made you want to be involved?
I'd already heard about what a great response the Hustle&Scout markets have received in Canberra, so when I heard that they were holding one in Hobart, I had to take the opportunity to be involved in what I believe will be a well curated market. The fact that it coincides with Dark Mofo is also a bonus – it's nice to be able to combine work and play.

 

MY FAVE THINGS

 
Image: Dominic Hogan
Australian fashion designer:
Strateas Carlucci, who are a Melbourne based designer duo.  They grab coffee from my local cafe – and they always look super stylish.  They make elegant and timeless garments that are investment pieces.  Their look is minimal, there is no unnecessary fussiness, just beautiful materials and workmanship. 

Meal to have cooked for you:
Any meal cooked for me is a treat, but anything my mum cooks – food that is healthy, slow cooked using quality ingredients.  Although having said that her friend does make the best Asian thrice cooked pork belly.

Fashion piece you have made:
For design completeness, it would have to be the asymmetric linework jumper – it's a piece that I don't think needs improving upon in terms of design. In terms of the piece that gets the most wear (I've been known to wear it all week when it's cold) it would have to be the two toned jumper in light grey and black – that you can wear inside out.

Country you have visited:
This is a tough one, but I would say that Italy ticks the most boxes – food, wine, style, architecture and  light.

No comments :

Post a Comment