Thursday 21 May 2015

Pixe Link.


Tell us about Pixe Link and how it all began…

To be honest, it probably began when I was a little takker, I’d play for hours in my bedroom creating Barbie and Ken’s next designer outfit with my prized Hollie Hobbie battery powered sewing machine. Mum thought we needed to upgrade, so she bought a Singer sewing machine. I got the job hemming all those pants over the years!

When I eventually grew up, I studied Graphic Design, however I also wanted to study Fashion Design, but I couldn’t do both! After 20 years as a Graphic Designer I needed a change. Initially I started experimenting with “pixels” and “inks” to create my own fully designed and constructed screen printed t-shirts which I sold at local markets.  Wanting to push myself with design and learn new skills, I started exploring and taught myself screen printing, pattern making, leather crafting and hat blocking - all these practices now being used within my work.  

Today, I’m glad to say I never abandoned my graphic design background, it’s fused into every part of my work and in the end, I managed to do both!  Ohh... and I’m still collecting sewing machines, recently I just found on Gumtree my cherished Hollie Hobbie sewing machine… brings back tender memories.





Describe your typical work day.

Aside from being a designer, I also own a retail store, Spacebar Gallery, which is open 7 days a week. Life is busy so I need to be extremely organised.  There’s no typical day, I could be working from either home, shop or studio, but the day usually involves coffee, emails, briefing staff, administrative stuff, design, pattern making, creating samples, kids, dogs and at the end of the day I unwind with a quick run around the block, sounds strange, but this is how I relax!

 
If you could see one person in your underwear, who would that be and why?

For me, the ultimate dream team would be... Blondie (Debbie Harry) wearing the BLONDE style, Wonder Woman as the BRUNETTE and Florence Welch as the REDHEAD. Also I woundn’t mind Kit Harrington (Jon Snow from Game of Thrones) baring it all as the DARK handsome character!


What brings you the most joy from your creative practice?

The best joy for me is creating a design that appeals to a wide audience. I’ll never forget my youngest customer was 11 and my oldest 89, it’s wonderful to reach such a broad range of people.  It’s also a real thrill spotting someone in public wearing something you’ve made, I go into a dazed stupor for a good moment and then quietly walk away thinking... for all the hard work, that was a perfect ending!


What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?

It’s the first market of it’s kind here in Hobart, showcasing purely just fashion and accessories, I love the location being within The Long Gallery of Salamanca Arts Centre and during Dark MOFO, one of Tassie’s biggest events of the calendar year.
It will be an exciting time, can’t wait to meet all the designers and see this baby come together.


MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: 
I try not to do it often, but cake and coffee go well, especially for breakfast!

What you wanted to be when you grew up: 
At about 8 years of age, I had one of those styling head dolls that you could apply makeup and create hairstyles with, so from an early age, it was a Hairdresser!

Fave fashion piece you own: 
Fleece lined Duck Feet boots, it’s important to keep your feet warm when living in Hobart.

Fave place to unwind in Hobart: 
Bike riding through the crisp cool air of Mt. Wellington

Your role model/s:
I don't have one single role model, but I surround myself with strong wonderful women who inspire me.  One marvellous lady I know doing amazing community work helps released asylum seekers in Tasmania by finding homes, setting them up with white goods, furniture, bedding, kitchenware etc.  In the not too distant future, I hope I can free my workload to be involved with more community projects such as this.

No comments :

Post a Comment