Thursday 21 May 2015

JUDE Artisan Fashion.


Tell us about JUDE and how it all began...

JUDE began as a small independent fashion and accessories label focusing on one-off and limited edition pieces which were all hand made by me. My vision was to bring the handcraft back into fashion, to create pieces which had a personality and told a story of how it was made. I created pieces which involved age old artisanal techniques, which fused my background in fine arts with my love of fashion.

I have sold my work at numerous design markets and fashion events over the years, all the while gaining invaluable knowledge about my customer, and how my product fits into their daily lives. I therefore have ease, comfort, and versatility in mind with every design, while also creating a unique and individual style statement.

JUDE has now grown to open our first ever concept store and working studio! Which means exciting and busy times ahead for us! To this day, JUDE pieces are still designed and created in our humble Melbourne studio, with the production done entirely in Melbourne by us and our talented makers.



Where or who do you look to for inspiration?

I like to look at non fashion sources for inspiration. I am inspired by modern and contemporary art, some of my favourites are Picasso and Frida Kahlo. I get inspired by travel to exotic places. Recently I went to Morocco and was mesmerised by the history of their handcraft, and how they fused their resourcefulness with incredible skill and eye for colour. Small things often inspire me – the drape and colour of a particular fabric which caught my eye could spark ideas for a whole new collection!

I would say my customers are a big inspiration too. I am constantly looking at what they wear and how they put themselves together, looking at how my product fits into their daily lives.


What do you enjoy about having a shopfront and also having a market stall?

In my shopfront, I enjoy being setup in one place and not moving! It's been a few years of setting up my display just for one day at the market! I also really love that customers can now pop into my store and have the whole experience of my work, from the production in my studio at the back, to the finished product on the shop floor. I also love how I can now alter things to fit them at a moments notice.

I still like having my market stalls because I love the energy that the market brings and the enthusiasm of all the people around me. I also like it because I reach a very broad customer base, and meet people from all walks of life.

What can market-folk expect to find at the June market?

My full winter 2015 collection! We are so excited about this season, because of all the new shapes and luscious fabrics we have introduced. We are also constantly evolving the range, with new styles and special one-off pieces and limited runs coming out regularly.

What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?

It looks like a really fabulous market! I have been following it for a while, and love the huge mix of incredible designers on offer.



MY FAVE THINGS


Guilty pleasure: Dancing badly to Beyonce.

What you wanted to be when you grew up: An artist.

Fave fashion piece you own: A raglan sleeve long wool coat from the 1940’s.

One place you’d like to visit when in Hobart: MONA!

Your role model/s: My parents, for their openness, generosity and work ethic.




No comments :

Post a Comment