Saturday 1 November 2014

Susan Flower Designs


Tell us a bit about your label and why you started designing clothes.

I’ve always loved sewing, designing clothes, sourcing textiles, using natural linens, cutting cloth on the bias, loving traditional textiles - African cloth, Japanese shibori +kimono, sari silks, embroideries, weavings  and Amish quilts.

Textiles tell so many stories of women’s lives, creativity and spirit.

 
What has brought you the most joy from your creative practice?

Meeting women wearing my designs, especially when they tell me they have bought many of my clothes, worn ‘em lots and loved them to bits.


 
What can market folk expect to find at our spring event?

For spring 2014 I’ve  designed a linen bias skirt incorporating an original water colour painting by renowned Sydney Artist Sandy Shilansky - I love Sandy’s work and  we’re both  thrilled with this collaboration. It's practically wearable art!

 
What makes your label unique?

Weeeeelll what makes anything unique? Original thought I guess - hopefully translated via my clothes!

 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
 
Word of mouth - I’ve heard such good things about Hustle&Scout way back from the very first event. Designer colleagues and customers saying it’s a must-do, your designs are a perfect fit for this event. So, what’s not to want to be part of, I’m looking forward to it.

 

MY FAV THINGS.


First song on your ultimate mixtape:

Patti Smith Twelve

                           

Fashion item you own:

Loving my Hobes shoe collection.


About Canberra:

Lake George - so inspiring – past, present and future in one beautiful view. I also love the Indigenous Totems at the NGA, cafes in Manuka, connecting with my Canberra customers and I’m looking forward to exploring the historic airport Hangar at this next event!


Thing you have made:

Love my bias pocket dress - the idea popped out of my head one day, a dress with  many different combinations of fabrics and ways to wear it, fastened with kimono covered buttons (or not), tucked in as pockets (or not) - women can style it in so many different ways, expressing their own unique style and personality.


http://www.susanflower.com/




 
 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment