Wednesday 5 November 2014

Bashful Garter


Tell us about Bashful Garter and how it all began...
Bashful Garter is my baby! It’s very new at the moment though it’s been brewing in my head for a while now. I guess it comes from my insecurities about working in fashion. I know so many great people that do some really useful, good for humanity kind of work and I used to feel a bit guilty for devoting my career to simply making pretty things.
The last few years I’ve been reading more about the impact the ragtrade makes on the environment and on communities. I also started to come across some really great designers that were making beautiful stuff in an ethical manner.
The name Bashful Garter comes from a character in an old fairytale in which all the characters are objects… the bashful garter is made to the highest quality, she is beautiful, made for decoration as well as practical use.
I wanted the Bashful Garter shop to be full of clothing and accessories that had a story, and for that story to be a positive one. Stuff that’s really beautiful, useful and also made with care.

 
 
Can you tell us about some of the designers that you stock?
All the clothing designers I stock are either from Australia or New Zealand.
From New Zealand I’ve got some great fairtrade organic cotton clothing from Kowtow, whom always do really great, strong silhouettes. They put a lot of effort into using only certified organic and they visit their factories a couple times a year to check on production quality as well as factory conditions.
 Julie White is based in South Australia, a talented young artist and textile designer. She has painted some great designs inspired by Australian native flowers, she then gets her designs printed locally onto fabric and sews them up into scarves.
Sydney based Romance Was Born create some real collectors pieces, collaborating with Artists both locally and internationally for each of their clothing collections. They are great at encouraging talent in both the art and fashion world and support the local rag trade. They currently have an exhibition on at the NGV to encourage kids to express their creativity.


 
What sorts of products can market folk expect to find at our November event?
Lots of good quality natural fibres, print and colour. Stuff you can wear to work and then straight out for an evening with a slick of lipstick and change of shoes. Some great quality bags in really beautiful leathers, I’ve got some real clean classic pieces and then some with a bit of a quirky twist!
  
How would you describe your personal style?
I wear a lot of prints and colour and I really like vintage styling. I’m also pretty low maintenance, so I like things that I can just throw on and run out the door! 
 
What is it about Hustle&Scout that made you want to be a stallholder?
I came to the last market and was just really impressed with the vibe. The food and coffee all looked amazing, the music was great. I loved the emphasis on vintage, local and ethical fashion. It seemed the perfect place to show my wares and meet some lovely people J
 

MY FAV THINGS


Guilty pleasure:
Oh gosh… I can re-watch some funny movies from my childhood over and over if left unsupervised. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Edward Scissorhands, Clueless, Don’t tell Mum the Babysitters Dead…. lol
 
First song on your ultimate mixtape:
It would depend on my mood. Today I lean toward Deep Red Bells by Neko Case. I would play it loud and sing along. I would love to have her voice.
 
Fashion item you own:
I have a big slouchy circle knit cardigan from Romance Was Born that I love. It’s about 8years old now and it goes on most holidays with me as the big open shape means it makes a great blanket for plane trips. It’s easy to wear and has a bold black and white design so it can be worn pretty casually or looks great dressed up a bit like an opera coat from the 1920s.
 
About Canberra:
I’ve lived in Sydney most of my life, but I grew up in Canberra! It was great. I had a big backyard and a big dog. These days, I love the art gallery and eating when in town J Last visit, I went to the new Arboretum and was so blown away. I remember when the fire went through there and think they’ve done such a lovely job making it something new and vibrant.
 
Thing you have made:
I love making stuff and have been lucky enough to work with some great designers and makers! I’m most comfortable when in a workroom. I still work in bridal and millinery. I consider myself lucky to have been able to work on so many wedding dresses over the years, I think it’s special that my work in bridal is part of a really special day and something the brides will treasure.
I work with Hatmaker, (whom has made a couple of great sunhats for my shop) where I am lucky enough to make some great hats, headpieces and veils with very talented Johnathan Howard. Hatmaker hats are a delight to work on and have been worn by Kate Middleton, Naomi Campbell, etc. He’s kicking some big goals this year and it’s inspiring to be around.
Romance Was Born took a chance on me when I first started learning millinery. I did headwear for a few of their fashion week showings earlier on in their career and it’s been such fun to see them getting bigger and better.
I’ve also worked at Opera Australia working on amazing costumes.
I love to knit and long to get back to patchworking. I just need a couple more days in my week!

 

No comments :

Post a Comment